Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The case of the rent-a-zombies

The case of the rent-a-zombies

Vast networks of home computers are being rented out without their owners' knowledge to spammers, fraudsters and digital saboteurs, security experts said on Wednesday.

The terminals have been infected by a computer virus, turning them into "zombies"--slaves to the commands of a malicious and unseen controller. Connect them all up, and the result is a powerful network of zombie PCs that security experts call a "botnet."

The programming crooks--often teenage bedroom hackers--are hiring out these networks to anyone who wants to commit Internet mischief.

"Small groups of young people creating a resource out of a 10,000- to 30,000-strong computer network are renting them out to anybody who has the money," a source in Scotland Yard's computer crime unit told Reuters.

There may be millions of such PCs around the world doing the bidding of crime gangs, experts say, and they can be rented for as little as $100 per hour.

Read Article
    Neon Security

It\'s time to put an end to malicious code & black hat hackers - Use a firewall and anti virus!

sounds like an attempt to create more FUD to me, no doubt there is some brand spanking new piece of software that you can buy for $50 to fix this.

Also, the Scotland yard computer crime unit is about as useful as a condom machine in the vatican, so lets not get too afraid just yet.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

FUD, FUD, and more FUD

When will it end..??

/edit -- [Comment removed to save Angelic from further self-inflicted embarrassment ]

Wait, hold on. I'm confused (maybe it's cuz I just woke up). Why are you guy's negging him?
    Space For Rent.. =]

Hmmm,

Also, the Scotland yard computer crime unit is about as useful as a condom machine in the vatican
    Whatever happened to firewalls? and how much can you get for an infrequently turned on zombie at 56.6K?

My money is on the condom machine

Honey traps............to catch the little crapheads at it...........

FBI = Federal Bureau of Incompetents?

USSS = Unconvincingly secretive stupid scumbags

Judge for yourself?

my thoughts

Notice anything a little "advertisingish" about that post? It tells us about the presence of zombies (as if we of all people didn't already know) and then conveniently provides the signature for a spyware/AV company. Suspicious, hmm?

In all fairness, if he proves me wrong, I'll rescind my comments. But so far, I see spam.

Conveniently? It's in the dude's signature. LOL, he's oblidged to have it in there as many people have link's to their site's in their signature. So yeh, no reason to neg him.
    Space For Rent.. =]

Well, given he's "NeonWizard" with the signature for the company "NeonComputing" and starting a thread about a common problem that the company in question fixes looks suspicious.

Ok, maybe I'm just jumping the gun. If so, don't take it personally dude, it just came off that way. We're just used to that kinda thing around here.

Angelic~

Chill out man...........................you can rent these for as little as $100 per hour..............so we give him $10 "finders fee" and that gives us $45 each per hour.............you have been coming into some older ones, maybe we could charge $150 for my ones over 1.5GHz?...........OK I would let them cool for 4 hours per day?, and work on an average of $100? We must have over 40 between us?

20x90x365=$657,000 x40boxes =$26,280,000........................which island in the carribean should we purchase?..............do you like sea food

Or something like that