Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The case of the rent-a-zombies

LOL Don't worry about it. The site is just something I do for security and that kind of thing, it's on a free server. It's only info and links, i don't sell anything.
    Neon Security

It\'s time to put an end to malicious code & black hat hackers - Use a firewall and anti virus!

There is this one, "security site" I want to DDOS
    Not a problem. I just need your user name and password...
    I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.

??? Don't understand what you guys are talking about, Nilih makes perfect sense to me. I don't have a bit of trouble understanding where he is coming from ( or even going to.)

Johnno, I think your humor just goes right over their heads.....LOL
    \"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!\"
    Author Unknown

Thankyou Mox~

I guess that I am rather old and have had to deal with beancounters, marketing types, and engineers in the weapons of mass destruction industry.

You cannot tell a director/EVP "no", but you can make a point without directly opposing him.

So, my point to Angelic was, if you rent one of these boxes at $100 per hour, between us we have enough to net $26million a year? now that does not quite add up to me.

On the other hand, if you can rent 10,000 to 30,000 for $100 per hour that seems cool, until they( the FBI and Secret Service) jump through the windows at 03.00 hrs with their flak jackets and MP5's............anyone remember Waco?...........you would be such big business, and doing it for commercial gain, you would be caught...............this is not crap run out of skiddies' bedrooms folks.......THAT is the CRAP! I personally doubt if a single skiddie has much more than 300 zombies these days.

So both scenarios are logically ridiculous........and I am expected to respond in a serious manner? and the hypothetical EVP will see that neither case can be so, and hopefully butt out............until the next time, of course

In no way am I trying to run down younger people, hey maybe you can learn a few cute tricks from some of of us older types who have encountered these problems?

I am not accusing anyone of marketing anything..............it won't protect me against DDoS as much as 10 in the big house will? and I am quite able to look after my own box, otherwise send me the FREE software because it is to protect YOU not ME, from someone using my machine to attack you............now you possibly realise one of my reasons for using WinME on a PII/266?

They would just walk away, even if they did get in

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    My translation/overview of this thread:

1. In the first place Angelic was right . Neon was spreading FUD to hawk his wares.
    2. Some people weren't as quick as Angelic to pick up on the subtleties and gave him a bit of a hard time.
    3. Nihil piped up in his inimitable way and confused Angelic.
    4. Angelic, not understanding Nihil, began a process of "withdrawal".
    5. Nihil, again in his inimitable way, tried to explain... Which further confused Angelic and threw him into AO despair.
    6. Neon came back and claimed not to be hawking, (I haven't even checked)
    7. SexyBad threw in his usual "diversion"
    8. Mox came into the fray and claims to understand "everything" Nihil comes up with indicating that either they are both messed up or that he enjoys as much of the better wines as Nihil does....
    9. Nihil came back and explained, in as close to normal terms as he ever does, what the hell his point was.....

Now, I'm wondering how many other people have "got" this thread from the start, how many have found it informative and how many have found it as hilariously funny as I have......
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

did he really mean $100 per hour per machine, or is it $100 for the whole zombie net per hour?

Also, having a net of PCs wouldn't be scary to me. I'd be more afraid of an un-documented zombie-able (if that's a word) flaw in consumer-level routing hardware.

The Linksys Wireless Router has just surpassed one-million units sold in less than 18 months and has surpassed monthly sales of its wired 4-port cousin- Linksys EtherFast 4-Port Router BEFSR41. Linksys is currently the nationwide leader within the U.S. wireless router retail arena with a 60-percent year to date market share, according to market tracking firm NPD Techworld. The network equipment provider is also the worldwide business leader in wireless router sales, as indicated by market research group In-Stat/MDR, with a 22 percent overall portion of unit sales through the first half of 2002.
    source: http://www.linksys.com/press/press.a...=97&cyear=2002

and these numbers are a year old...

My point is, IF the router mentioned in this article [BEFW11S4] had a flaw found by some black-hat that linksys didn't know about, then how much trouble would we be in? The routers are meant to be left on 24/7 and most are. Generate a small backdoor app that installs to the flash memory, create a virus that effects only the router, and you have a huge potential for hijinx. How many people check on their routers? For the most part i hardly think about it until a new firmware is released or i see something on bugtraq. Not to mention that these routers are locked from user-interaction aside from an html interface.

Not trying to create a scare of any kind, just my thoughts.
    You are so bored that you are reading my signature?

8. Mox came into the fray and claims to understand "everything" Nihil comes up with indicating that either they are both messed up or that he enjoys as much of the better wines as Nihil does....
    Waiter Waiter.....more wine over here (except I prefer Jack Danials myself).

Must be an age thingy, huh Johnno. Tiger is close but still a generation or two behind us.
    \"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!\"
    Author Unknown

No mox~

Tiger is real cool..................he should go fishin, and drinkin.........I am having one day on Saturday Tiger...........sea fishing out of Bridlington Bay...........maybe some wreck stuff................hey there are conger eels in there that would make a politician tell the truth ...............we are taking the mayor.......incidentally........of course............but "accidents do happen"

Actually Mox I think that Tiger's wine is a generation or two behind ours?

Cheers

EDIT:

A-G............I do not seriously believe any of the numbers. I could, for $100 per hour supply boxes to get it done in most of Asia, and they wold do what I said.................given the penalties, leasing a 10,000-30,000 net of zombies does not make sense either??????????

I was actually supporting Angelic's take on this, but from the finance angle..............hell now I have to post serious in plain English?

I'm still confused could someone translate this into Dummy Language??

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Nihil:

Ahhhh... The ocean.... I never knew how much I liked it until _after_ I got settled here in bloody Detroit.....

I'm off to north Wisconsin for a week to get myself a bit of Muskie, (like a Pike but rather more aggressive and big....), I'm going to try fly fishing for them while I'm there..... Should be fun..... I managed to leave enough room for some clothes after all the tackle, beer and food was packed......

Congers.... Ahh.... yes. Ever been chased round a boat by a pissy 4 1/2' conger? It's far from fun. The Captains way of dealing with them was to lift them into a big plastic dustbin with the "turn to lock" lid, cut the line and lock the lid. Seemed sensible to me....... The first conger came over the side and into the dustbin it went..... All rather too easy..... Well, it was a tad choppy that day and we are all fishing away when there's this dull thud behind us.... followed by a shriek..... I looked round to see the lid off the dustbin and a steely eyed conger scooting around the deck showing off that rather impressive smile. I didn't have much choice and jumped up onto the 4" wide rail.... Being choppy it was all I could do to stay there but the decision had already been made....... If I lose my balance I'm jumping to the wet side...... Luckily the Captain snagged the little bugger with the gaff again and returned him to the dustbin. It was funny though, after that you could see everyone taking furtive glances at the dustbin on a regular basis.....
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides