Thread: Question about my site's aesthetics

Question about my site's aesthetics

Hey fellow AO'ers.

When a pop-up window is produced on my site everything is moved slightly to the right within the new pop-up window. I have everything on a set table width and height, but for some reason if you look to the left theres a small gap.

The example I'm referring to is here: www.ovspunk.com The pink dates should be all the way to the left edge of the pop-up.

I'm sorry if this doesn't make much sense as I'm having a hard time describing this minor issue.

Thanx everyone!

edit: The period was causing an error to my page. Sorry about that. Period is removed and the link now works.

I would like to help you but I am getting a 404 error saying that the page can't be found. So if you repost with a correct URL I will look again.

- MilitantEidolon
    Yeah thats right........I said It!

Ultimately everyone will have their own opinion--this is mine.

militant.. its because if you look at the link it has a fullstop after .com - take the '.' out and its fine.[edit] and it's been fixed now so this sentence is irrelevant[/edit]

Except... dietzol - I'm sorry but that site looks REALLY horrible..... the colours are ok (pinks not really my colour but I don't have a problem with the colours your using per se) but why on earth have everything open in a small pop up when you have the users entire screen to take up? The way you have it at the moment makes text minute - for people with sight problems this would be a total nightmare.

For starters... your main screen looks fine... but why not just link the 'enter to page 2 on the main screen (or whatever), it would look much healthier instead of having to peer at a small popup.

Anyway.. I don't think the problem is your code (other than your use of tables to position everything - use CSS its what it's there for!) - that small border is on every HTML document I've ever written. If I recall correctly its something to do with the DTD of HTML. However I must ask why do you want your next with no space on the left at all? I don't think it would improve your layout one bit (actually I think it'd make it look a little bit worse)

Interesting looking band though - you in it?

Z
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes

Thanx for the suggestions Zonewalker. Exactly what I'm looking for as I don't consider myself all to good with design, let alone web building.

I'll take a look at taking out the pop-up and increasing the font size and see how it looks.

I'm new to javascript and css, so I suppose it's time for me to start reading some tuts.

Oh, and yes, that is my horrible band, lol.

Dietzol... just take out the pop-ups and have things open into the main window... font size should be normal size e.g 12-14. The use of tables and the fact that I saw MS somewhere in there would lead me to suspect you're using MS frontpage? Stop using it as soon as you can- its crap
    Your HTML works at the moment... so I would leave a major overhaul until you're more confortable with using CSS.

This software
    www.chami.com/html-kit/

is very good... and free..... and you'll start to learn your way around HTML fairly quickly using it.

If you have a few spare dollars get this book (I have the 4th ed - excellent book -but I heard the 5th ed is worth having)

http://safari.oreilly.com/JVXSL.asp?...p=1&a=0&page=0

Sorry if I sounded rude by the way - not intentional Hey at least you're in a band!

Hope that helps.

Z

No offense taken at all. I actually found your opinion and information very useful and like the suggestions you made. People will actually be able to read the site now once I upload the changes

Btw, you caught me, it was frontpage. I use it to test out the codes I'm reading about. I was looking at purchasing dreamweaver but think that's going in a different direction than I'm looking for.

LOL - I can normally spot when its done on frontpage. I'll have a look at the site later on if I may - give you a chance to fix things first though .

Re: dreamweaver..... there's been several debates about this. Personally I don't like the program but I think that may be me being a 'funny duddy' in part. I mean I can see the value of it when designing layouts because its quick and easy and stuff. If you need to get something out quickly (especially if its on to a controlled environment such as you might find for a company intranet) then yeah it's great - gets results quickly, not too difficult to use and everyone can view it ok (cos they'll have the same browser as you). But to be honest the code it produces is also IMHO crap (even though its amongst the best you'll get from a drag and drop editor). So if you're putting a website out onto the net you ought to be considering those who do not use IE (which will be getting larger after the latest IE exploits) as their browser.... and then there's those on linux (who will also not be using IE) - again another audience you want to consider.
    I don't know if you wanna go down this route but you might want to consider using xHTML these days as its now the official successor to HTML4.1. Its not dissimilar to HTML (uses much the same syntax) but it is a little stricter. However that does mean that you're more likely to be cross browser compliant. Up to you though....

Feel free to PM me if you run into problems

Z

The site looks just fine. However, one suggesiton I have is to lose the entrance page. There is really no use for them. Also the "vacuusuck" intro can be annoying as well.

Just my 2 pesos