Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Microsuck Softs! XP stools!

Microsuck Softs! XP stools!

Okay, my topic title is beyond juvenile, but I am ready to chew nails and sledge hammer my monitor! Why did MS have to go and ruin a perfectly mediocre thing like Windows 98? Networking was easy! All the set up was in one place! Users could be set up in the blink of an eye! Now I have to call tech support to figure out what my own name is.

One hour on the phone with the people who sold me the PC, 30 minutes with HP (who label the CD for MS Works & Money thus: "Operating System CD Microsoft r Windows r XP Pro SP1a"), and I finally find out there is nothing wrong, just that there is ONE MORE THING I HAVE TO CHECK!!!!

Now I have to spend 5-10 minutes getting the appearance acceptable for EACH USER! PLUS, I never know if software is going to work right, and Heaven forbid someone's PC should break down and the user wants to sit at an XP computer! TWENTY MINUTES for that person. With Win98? LOG ON AND YOU ARE READY!

Not only that, the knitted NumLock won't stay on (what the Heck is that about MS? Afraid it would make the computer too user friendly?) AND every time you want to see what is inside a folder in Windows Explorer, you have to EXPAND THE FOLDER! Now there's a brilliant idea... the PLUS NEXT TO THE FOLDER NAME WASN'T ENOUGH??!?? Oh sure, you can specify to go further and open an entirely SEPARATE FOLDER but you can't say click is just to VIEW THE CONTENTS, not visually gut the folder and spill it's entrails all the way down the screen!

I suppose someone is going to tell me to go Mac, Linux, Mainframe or some such. Sorry - I don't control the pocketbook.
    Thank you. This has been a public service announcement.

Ummm, never had those problems with XP, i think it's better than 98. But go and work and your anger problems And learn to use XP

[sarcasm] XP is perfect., i mean it is an eXPerience to use it [/sarcasm]

Hi, and welcome.........

Your reaction is typical to that I have encountered from people making the transition from the 9x family to XP.

Your problem is worse, because you were using a rudimentary, no security, networking system, and XP is quite different.

My personal experience on that side was from Windows2000, so it wasn't that bad.

All I can recommend is to give it two weeks, and a fair trial before you lynch it?..............I have seen many come around after they have played with it a while..............you are making a pretty big jump as it goes, from domestic to commercial design.

just my thoughts, good luck

Not all of us would say go to linux... sure go to another OS if it suits your purpose but many people recognise that we don't all hold the purse strings... that being the case most sensible people here would say

learn to use the fuc*ing OS properly before you moan about how crap it is.

Pooh, pooh where for art thou?
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes

Yeh, where is pooh? Or better yet, gore could provide insight into this as well, remember that one? Anyways, during my dealing's with XP, I like Win98 better for it's simplicity in setting up a network. Just my experience's with it.
    Space For Rent.. =]

Well, if you want simplicity of an operating system, scrap all of your windows machines and put in a whole bunch of Commador 64's.
    \"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!\"
    Author Unknown

Not the first time

Actually I have had to set up almost a dozen XP PCs in this office over the last 15 months. It has only gotten harder, especially since Microsoft fragmented Networking setup from a single place in Control Panel to several places - some of which are not obvious! (My Computer to set up Networking stuff??? NOT accessible through Control Panel? My, I must have a different idea of what the CONTROL panel should do). Unfortunately my company does not have budget for me to take classes or buy books, and I haven't the time.

I'm sure it works just as well as everything else Microsoft... weak and dim. Still, if it wasn't for cheap, quick and shoddy, the personal computer would have taken much longer. (Actually that would be: if corporate executives weren't such tight-ass bottom-dollar quality-ignorant...)

Okay - maybe XP is fine. I have yet to find any reason to like it, and many to dislike it. It is supposedly more secure, but I am at the point of posting the administrator password so that all users can fully and properly access every XP PC in case of an emergency. Naturally I am not talking about the NETWORK administrator password, just the one I am using for the administator user on new XP machines. On the latest XPC, I could not even set up a password for the computer's admin!

If anyone can show me how XP is an improvement I will be happy to change my mind. Until then, I can only be suspicious. Now who has my coffee cup? And what's that strange smell? Oh no, the squirrels are after my cupcakes again.

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Son:

If you don't understand what you are dealing with it is your problem not the operating system's.... Period!!

When you learn it and get used to it you will find that there are a "gazillion" advantages to Windows 2000/XP.

Until then I'm at an utter loss as to why you chose to post your ugly little rant that demonstrates you own inadequacies about the capabilities of an operating system in a forum that is oriented towards computer security.......

I think you have more than one issue with comprehension......

Look up the "big" words at www.dictionary.com

Hum.... I seem to be in a bad mood...... Only one day left till a weeks fishing and drinking..... Maybe that's it.....
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

[QOUTE]

When you learn it and get used to it you will find that there are a "gazillion" advantages to Windows 2000/XP.

[/QOUTE]

Those being?

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Whizz:

Over Win9X.... Gimme a break..... Your drunk again, right?

[Edit]

You screwed up the [quote]'s there didn't you....

Rule 1:

While boozing _always_ "Preview" before "Posting"......

[/Edit]
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides