Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Microsuck Softs! XP stools!

One last thought

XP might be wonderful, and I might should learn the OS before I #$%@ing @#$ about it, but it certainly is far from intuitive and NOT easy to learn on one's own (unlike Win98). My beef is not as much that XP sucks or is worse than Win98 - rather that it fragments things and makes simple tasks harder. As it is you have to some work just to get at stuff.

here you go
    Open regedit and exand the tree to find the following key
    HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\Keyboard

Change the value of InitialKeyboardIndicators to which ever setting you want.

0 - Indicators off
    1 - Caps Lock on
    2 - Num Lock on
    3 - Caps Lock on and Num Lock on
    4 - Scroll Lock on
    5 - Caps Lock on and Scroll Lock on
    6 - Num Lock on and Scroll Lock on
    7 - Caps Lock on, Num Lock on, and Scroll Lock on

Start the Registry Editor
    Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ Control Panel \ Keyboard \
    Double-click the value InitialKeyboardIndicators, and enter 2 as it's Value data
    Close the registry editor
    Log off, or restart Windows for the changes to take effect

GRR HE BEAT ME TO IT

Regal Making Handler
    To enable anyone to use an xp machine enable the guest account.
    Start>>control pannel>>User accounts.

If when you go to control pannel you do not like the fancy new xp look. Change to classic view, left side of window.

If you don't like Xp's themes, turn them off. Right click on desktop>>settings>>themes.

You can make xp look and behave just as if it was a 2000 pc.
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry

Heheh sorry will let you get the next one. but you did include something I didn't in my post "the machine might have to be rebooted to take effect"

Someone linked me here so I could observe the Windows bashing. I'm not even going to touch this. I will discuss OS capabilities and about learning an OS before bashing it when the parent poster has matured beyond the primary insults that this thread is founded upon.

Each and every Operating System is capable of preforming and responding just as well as the next. Because it is up to the admin, not the OS, to learn the enviroment he is in.

Ahh, I was waiting for you to arrive pooh
    Space For Rent.. =]

Whats so hard about win XP networking? Its all in the control panel under network connections.

I have about 30 machines set up on a network in my office, I have a DHCP server, I turn on the XP computers and they're ready to go. All you gotta do is have a account for the people to log onto on the server, and use the old win 2k style loggin on instead of the click on the users name thing.

Takes me a total of 2 minutes to get one XP computer on the network and ready for users.
    =

BANNED

Re: One last thought

Originally posted here by iankestor
    XP might be wonderful, and I might should learn the OS before I #$%@ing @#$ about it, but it certainly is far from intuitive and NOT easy to learn on one's own (unlike Win98). My beef is not as much that XP sucks or is worse than Win98 - rather that it fragments things and makes simple tasks harder. As it is you have to some work just to get at stuff.
    If it's really that hard for you just go to Start>Control Panel. Look to the left. It says switch to classic view. If you'll just give it a chance you'll see it's 100 times better/easier than win98.

i find XP to be the best ms has done. ill just never understand why they made copying and pasting in dos more difficult...annoys the hell out of me. networking and installing devices like scanners and printers couldn't be easier. if you find networking more difficult you must be using the home edition. 2k and xp with rpc and snap in managment consoles have made it almost too hard to make the boss think its difficult...almost

as for adding users if you learned dos 'net' commands they still apply
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”