Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Avoid those nasty signup forms

Old Fart

Avoid those nasty signup forms

OK....I'm posting here because this is the only forum that fits IMO.....my personal information is a misc. security issue at the very least. You see, I've always hated having to fill out those stupid forms to access websites that may hold news stories or other information that I'd like to see or read. I mean, who REALLY knows what they do with my personal info once they have it? I like reading the NY Times, but do they really need to know where I live to allow me access to their stories? Thanks to a good friend, I don't have to be bothered with that crap anymore. All I have to do is direct my browser to www.bugmenot.com , enter the complete URL of the website I want to access and presto.....instant login info. No more forms, no more exposing my inbox to the possibility of yet another influx of spam, just the info I want the way I want it...PRIVATELY available to me.
    Al
    It isn't paranoia when you KNOW they're out to get you...

That is a great way to get to the article with out having to worry about the boring forms that they force you to fill out just to read the content once or twice.

Hoopy Frood
    I think this will be very useful! Thank you for posting it!

Regards,
    Xierox
    "Personality is only ripe when a man has made the truth his own."

-- Søren Kierkegaard

Wait, but aren't those form's where you have to enter your information how they get money? Or are you talking about just a regular sign-up form? Because if your supposed to pay, then that's kinda not right to be doing if the idea is to pay. Again, I'm a tad confused, so please educate me.
    Space For Rent.. =]

spyder32 nytimes is a free to join website but its just the hassle of filling out the signup sheet for no reason other than to give them your details for their benefit. not just nytimes but its a good example ..

this site allows you to log in to for example nytimes with an already setup account . so you dont have to bother with the signup sheet nor giving nytimes your details for their benefit

Oh, okay thank's. In that sense, thanks allen this site should be useful. Everytime I want to view certain new's site's I also gotta fill out those retarded form's in order to access it. Now it's easy browsing from here on in Thanks man..

PS: fyrewall, long time no see old buddy. How yah been?
    Space For Rent.. =]

this is a very handy post indeed i agree. thanks

spyder32: been great man moving house, on holidays etc so i havent had much time to come say hello .. but im back now

Ehh, great to hear from yah and see ya active on the board's again . In any sense, I'm interested in how that website work's? Does it just run a CGI script of some sort or maybe another script that just enter's random data into the form? I'm really interested in how it work's, any idea?
    Space For Rent.. =]

well i know that you can input usernames and passwords so that other people can use them ..

for example if there is no username or password in bugmenot's data base for say macromedia.com it will tell you that it has none for that specific site then it will ask you to input a username and pass for that site that it can then give out to other people to use ..

thats about all i know just from using the site once ...

But then wouldn't NYTimes or whatever notice that a billion (well, not that number) people are signing up with the same info? I mean, also wouldn't NYTimes notice that it's coming from the same IP? Ahh this confuses me a bit, dunno.
    Space For Rent.. =]