hypronix....huh? I don't get what you were referring to at all
    You shall no longer take things at second or third hand,
    nor look through the eyes of the dead...You shall listen to all
    sides and filter them for your self.
    -Walt Whitman-

Hoopy Frood
    Originally posted here by TidaLphasE23
    ...to see if any issues come up...
    I use Mozilla all the time. 99% of sites work just fine with it, but the problem is, IE has been used by 95% of people for so long that a lot of Web Devs don't bother checking compatability with other browsers. (I was one until I learned differantly. ) So for a little while, we're stuck having IE as a backup.
    "Personality is only ripe when a man has made the truth his own."

-- Søren Kierkegaard

this might be a dumb question but what exactly is "the shell". is it the javascript console? i read that article and didnt really get the idea of how these attacks would be launched? i assume its malicious code in a web page that exploits the win xp help wizard things using some kind of file extionsion bug or something... is that right?

Originally posted here by Lansing_Banda
    hypronix....huh? I don't get what you were referring to at all
    pooh sun tzu linked a number of softwares that are "closed source and not free" and one of the links was to Solaris... I just wanted to point out that Solaris does come as a free download also. [hence the mentioning of 'legal' rather than warez]

However it is not always the latest distribution that can be obtained for free [like Solaris, 10 is not free while 9 is]

phonedog- a command prompt is typically called a shell. If a hacker has a shell on your computer, that means they can run commands on your box. If you have a ssh server, then you can connect to it and get a shell on that box. If the attacker were able to exploit this flaw posted, they could install a backdoor and get a shell to work on.

Antionline Herpetologist
    Another example of a popular product that is miles ahead of most of it's less popular couterparts is Apache Web Server. Despite being the most popular product in it's category, Apache still has less exploits than say, IIS. It's been ages since Apache has had a serious exploit.

Cheers,
    cgkanchi
    Buy the Snakes of India book, support research and education (sorry the website has been discontinued)
    My blog: http://biology000.blogspot.com

thx for the info...
    let me say... i'm happy to use

Mozilla 1.3
    Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; de-AT; rv:1.3) Gecko/20030312

and i'm not clickin' install on every window coming up...

hu... it's the same when you doubleclick all the attechmentts of your email
    or just downloading a unknown program and execute it.,..

well...someone would like to see the mozilla project dead.
    i do not talk about exploits
    but about the kind of reporting by a lot of (news )services.
    fugg you , gil bates !
    Industry Kills Music.

A seat on your wagon if I may....

To say that Open Source is just more secure by nature may not be true for every project at every stage of development; however any adolescent or matrue project is likely to become more and more secure with every release.

I devote about 10 or so hours a week combing through a certain BSD derivatives code, and code for software that may one day be ordained secure enough to join the ports collection. I enjoy scrutinizing software written in C, C++, and Assembler, and the production releases of these projects enjoy having the extra eyes, expertise and obsession to go over code again and again and again.

There are tens of thousands of dedicated nerds just like me who give this time freely for no other reason than they like to help find and fix bugs. This is the true power of Open Source in my opinion, and why it will always win in security and sustained rate of innovation.

Solaris, my favorite commercial UNIX™, was mentioned in this thread. I do have to say that although it takes a more skilled administrator to lock it down than say OpenBSD, it is well worth consideration if you want a secure, scalable, and very stable OS. Sun is slowly loosing it's death grip on the commercial Unix market to the new Linux players, but it is going to be around and in wide spread use for a long time to come simply because everyone has such a long way to go to catch up to Sun on their strongest points.

-- spurious
    Get OpenSolaris http://www.opensolaris.org/

BANNED
    well...someone would like to see the mozilla project dead.
    i do not talk about exploits
    but about the kind of reporting by a lot of (news )services.
    fugg you , gil bates !
    Why would Bill Gates really care about mozilla. If people use firefox instead of IE is it really hurting his pocket?
    When death sleeps it dreams of you...

It might. As it was with Netscape a while back, and considering that in Europe MS was fined over $600 million for distributing Windows Media Player with Windows, there might a moment when MS might not be allowed [at least in certain parts of the world] to distribute their OS with IE.

Sure, he might make it a free download. But more and more standards will be defined by the way Mozilla works, if IE would still be closed source. It used to be that web scripting depended on what IE could display [the web is a business place, firstly]. Things could change, and new languages might ne better implemented by Mozilla in the future.
    /\\