Thread: 2K/XP Local Security Policy

2K/XP Local Security Policy

Hey now.

Aight, to make a long story short.

I reinstalled XP a bit ago. I installed some workstation security guides that the NSA had compiled.

I can no longer play certain video games that have punkbuster because of certain OS restrictions.

Is there a way to "default" the local security policy so I can start it over and do it manually?

I've tried about a dozen so called "workarounds" but none of them work properly.

Sure... I want a secure system... but I also want to be able to use it!

TIA

~phish
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Regal Making Handler
    Have not read through this but it should be what you want:

http://support.microsoft.com/default...&Product=winxp
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry

Sweet! Thanks jinxy.

Somehow I missed that in my searching... I kept using default this and default that.... long day.

I'd green, but I have to spread.

Thanks again!
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Aight... that didn't fix my problem.

Thank m$ they included system restore... or I'd have to do all that over again...

Wow... did I just say "thank m$"?!

Thats it... I'm sleep deprived and now delusional... good night.

AO French Antique News Whore
    Their no way to turn back XP setting to default... You'll have to walk to the NSA guide and remove everything and but everything one by one.

Did you try looking on the punkbuster site?

Edit : I'm wrong... They can turn back to default.. Lazy me! See lower post.
    -Simon \"SDK\"

Yeah, I checked out the PB site... there are several supposed fixes for it.

I applied them manually or via their scripts.

None of them seem to work.

Since its a new install... it won't hurt to reinstall the OS... just not what I wanted to be doing this weekend.

The link that jinxy provided says it will default the secuirty. I ran the command provided and it was sucessful..

Why do you say that it can't be defaulted?

If you do

start-run-mmc

then add the 'security configuration and analysis'
    and 'security templates'

you can then apply the compatws template (compatable workstation), but if you have been doing lots of manual stuff it will not help much, just sets the local group policy to a more compatible level.

But you have sorted it anyway now, still just thought I would mention it in case anyone lese has a problem

AO French Antique News Whore
    Well, I learn something today. I was lazy (That I know because I didn't bother to look at jinxy link before answering you) but I learn that security could be reset. I never knew that could be done. I'm surprise and exicted about it!

Now that I did my ****, I'll go hide myself.
    -Simon \"SDK\"