Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Credit Card #s

If you are TRULY paranoid and think you have a keylogger then do the following:
    Type in a random number in the text space then highlight it with your mouse and right click delete (don't press the delete key or backspace)
    Then..click Start>Program Files>Accessories>Accessablilty>On-Screen Keyboard and click on them with the On-Screen Keyboard
    WARNING: THIS SIGNATURE IS SHAREWARE PLEASE REGISTER THIS SIGNATURE BY SENDING ME MONEY TO SEE THE COMPLETE SIGNATURE!

correct me if i am wroing..... my understanding is https will secure the data on the wire, so that the data cannot be sniffed....but wht bout the end point.... i mean how can we be sure of the security in place at the server where the numbers are stored....?

i mean how can we be sure of the security in place at the server where the numbers are stored....?
    Thats what i meant by my post. No digital information will ever be secure.

Originally posted here by oxygen
    correct me if i am wroing..... my understanding is https will secure the data on the wire, so that the data cannot be sniffed....but wht bout the end point.... i mean how can we be sure of the security in place at the server where the numbers are stored....?
    Well that is the point I think that they were trying to make. It is reasonable secure in transit and then it sits on someones server. If that persons server gets hacked, then the card info might get taken. Its happened before, and it will happen again. Just order from reputable sites like amazon.com or buy.com and you can feel reasonably safe about making a purchase. (Because there should be a bunch of security people keeping your information safe)
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)

there's a new product thats coming out, called a Chameleon Card. Supposebly it can make online purchases MUCH more secure because it stores the information on the unit itself, instead of being saved over the net or on your PC which can be retreived. It also implements biometric security measures and only works with your thumbprint. Defenitely something i'm getting as soon as it comes out already told my gf waht I want for valentines

Chameleon Networks has a plan for both reducing all that clutter in your wallet and making it a lot more difficult to steal your credit cards:

The Chameleon Card’s black strip covers a programmable transducer that mimics the information on the magnetic strips of the cards it is replacing. A new handheld device from Chameleon, the Pocket Vault, programs the Chameleon Card to take the place of any credit card the consumer chooses for a transaction. Shoppers will be able to swipe their Chameleon Cards through the same magnetic readers used in stores and banks today. And instead of reading bar codes off the back of customer-loyalty cards, retail bar-code readers will scan the bar code displayed on the Pocket Vault itself.
    We’re not sure that carrying around a mini-vault is any easier than just carrying around a few credit cards, and besides which, a company called Privasys already had this idea years ago, and it wasn’t as complicated or expensive as the Chameleon. Instead of the Pocket Vault you got one really thin card with a keypad, an LED display, and a reprogrammable magenetic strip that stored all of your credit card numbers (and could generate disposable ones). You just entered your PIN, selected the card you wanted, and you were set. Not sure whatever happened to this, but the prototypes we saw definitely worked.
    Your next wallet may be 8 mm thick and contain the only card you'll ever need.

Chameleon Network, in Concord, Massachusetts, plans to replace the stacks of credit, bank and customer-loyalty cards burdening modern consumers with a single, rewritable Chameleon Card, which works just like an ordinary card with a magnetic strip.

. The Chameleon Card's black strip covers a programmable transducer that mimics the information on the magnetic strips of the cards it is replacing. A new handheld device from Chameleon, the Pocket Vault, programs the Chameleon Card to take the place of any credit card the consumer chooses for a transaction.

Shoppers will be able to swipe their Chameleon Cards through the same magnetic readers used in stores and banks today. And instead of reading bar codes off the back of customer-loyalty cards, retail bar-code readers will scan the bar code displayed on the Pocket Vault itself.

The Pocket Vault has a slot for the Chameleon Card, but has no buttons or stylus. The device, which will be about half the size of an iPaq pocket PC, will be on sale in stores such as Best Buy and Circuit City as early as January 2005, according to Chameleon CEO Todd Burger.

First-time users of the Pocket Vault will read their old credit cards with the device, which stores their information internally and backs it up to an online or local database in case the Pocket Vault is lost or stolen. Each credit card stored on the Pocket Vault is then represented by an icon on the device's touch-screen display.

The Pocket Vault also prompts its owners to place their fingerprints on the device's reader pad to create a biometric profile.

To use the Chameleon Card for a credit card transaction, a shopper taps the logo on the Pocket Vault's display representing the credit card account he wants to use. Seconds later, the Pocket Vault spits out the shopper's Chameleon Card, with the selected credit card account number, expiration date and logo imprinted on its flexible display, and its transducer reconfigured to work in the store's or bank's magnetic card reader.

The Pocket Vault, which Burger expects to sell for less than $200, will also replace ExxonMobil's Speedpass and similar radio-frequency identification applications with its own, built-in RFID chips.

But the Pocket Vault promises to do more than prevent slipped discs caused by overstuffed wallets. Its security features should also help safeguard shoppers from the devastation of credit card fraud and identity theft, said Burger.

The Pocket Vault will only power up when it detects its owner's fingerprint. And unlike an ordinary credit card, the information stored on a Chameleon Card becomes unreadable (and the transducer inoperable) within 10 minutes.

The Pocket Vault also switches off shortly after ejecting a Chameleon Card.

That's plenty of time for a shopper to swipe his Chameleon Card through a magnetic reader at the grocery store, but hardly enough for a thief to do much damage to the shopper's credit.

"Your worst possible exposure," said Burger, "is that a thief may be able to get in one illegal purchase in the 10 minutes after the card is ejected from the (Pocket Vault)."

Chameleon Network may be just weeks away from signing an agreement with major credit card associations and other financial institutions.

Chameleon has built most of the components of the Pocket Vault system, and it has successfully tested its replacement for the Speedpass.

But an analyst warned that, although the Pocket Vault and Chameleon Card may be easy to use, consumers are typically reluctant to change their buying behaviors.

They may also balk at the Pocket Vault's strongest security feature, its use of fingerprint authentication.

"Consumers still associate biometrics with an invasion of their privacy," said Forrester Research analyst Penny Gillespie. "For better or worse, they see it as intrusive."

A PIC:

http://a1112.g.akamai.net/7/1112/492...card-out_f.jpg

Sources:

http://www.wired.com/news/business/0...w=wn_tophead_6

I really like this part of the cards security
    The Pocket Vault will only power up when it detects its owner's fingerprint. And unlike an ordinary credit card, the information stored on a Chameleon Card becomes unreadable (and the transducer inoperable) within 10 minutes.
    that should decrease the number of credit card fraud and identity theft cases but there is still a scary side to this is that someone will figure out how to get it to work without the owners "Pocket Vault" or copy the information on a portable magnetic reader after it has been activated in places such as in a restaurant Etc.

I'm inclined to agree with Tidal. I actually have yet to even get a credit card. Of course, my reason was because until recently, I was a college student, and you know what kind of combination a college student and credit card makes, so I avoided it all together.

However, not using a credit card online, though desirable, isn't practical unfortunately. Most things purchasable online require a credit card, so you're kinda screwed without one, which sucks in my humble opinion.

Online web sites such amazon and bestbuy etc, will make modifications to their site to accommodate this new technology if they don't then they are losing money because people would have to drive to the store to make the purchase.

Hrmm, with all information considered I think the main lesson here is to be very careful and only trust site's that are well-recognized and aren't out to scam you. If you want to be even more secure and you have doubt's, than don't use your credit card online. I never do as it COULD cause problem's down the road. And like many will tell you, "You can never be too safe".
    Space For Rent.. =]

Paypal

I was wondering if Paypal, or similar companies, woul be a good alternative. Much similar to the debit card explained earlier.
    Jus any thoughts on pay pal in this instance?