Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hard drive quick scan

Hard drive quick scan

I just recently purchased a hard drive off ebay and I have heard about people who don't completely erase their drive. Do you know how to do a quick scan of a hard drive to reveal deleted information that was not written over?

NOTE: When you clear a hard drive the information is not completely erased. To completely erase your hard drive you will need to write over the whole drive with random "ones and zeros". This can be done with many commercial applications.

er0k
    why do you want to retrieve deleted information.. i mean there seems no point or at least you didnt give us one. *suspicious*

for another, wrong forum. try a hardware type security related forum. must neg you.

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Thread moved.

er0k, you didn't have to neg him. It was his first post.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

There are a few things you are able to do to retrieve deleted information off of a drive. However, here at AO we are not particularly fond of people using knowledge obtained here at AO for harmful or criminal intent.

So I would be happy to assist you in finding your answer. I would just like to know why you would even want to find any deleted information?

- MilitantEidolon
    Yeah thats right........I said It!

Ultimately everyone will have their own opinion--this is mine.

i guess curiosity killed the cat, as the saying goes..
    Anyhow i'm sure that if you did a quick google search you should be able to find what your looking for.
    I saw a few interesting links in the google search i've provided you with. But if you want help trying to recover files that were deleted for a reason, then your own your own with that.

cheers
    F2B:.

er0k
    Originally posted here by MsMittens
    Thread moved.

er0k, you didn't have to neg him. It was his first post.
    best way to learn... its kind of like the people who are against corporal punishment.. to an extent, its much more helpful than a good talking. for another, i dont care who it is, no one deserves a break. if my posts are bad, i would be more than happy to accept negs. (if they are bad, that is)

sorry er0k but you are one flaming piece of ****. i just asked a question.

thanks to all the people who are not as awesome as er0k for the help.

Last month we had a whopper of a lightning storm and wouldnt you know as soon as rebooted the CPU I got the ol' blue screen. When I visited windows explorer, most of my Green Peace and Save the children files had simply dissapearded. I was hopeing there is a way to retrieve this data. For the children.

BANNED
    For your fourth post being the way you are being isn't exactly gonna extract a welcome from anyone. You should drop the attitude.
    When death sleeps it dreams of you...