O/T? - Problem setting up LAN on 2 PCs
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T? - Problem setting up LAN on 2 PCs

O/T? - Problem setting up LAN on 2 PCs

Hi there, I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this so tell me if I'm in the wrong place!

Having a bit of trouble setting up a LAN netowrk of 2 PCs:

1's a Dell P3 866Mhz, 320 RAM, WinME
    The other's a Toshiba P1 200Mhz MMX, 48 RAM, Win98

They both have the exact same network cards (bought the other day) installed without a problem and have the correct cable going across (crossover cable I think it's called). The issue is that although they'll recognise that each other are there (the diff PCs come up as diff icons in Network Neighbourhood), they won't talk to each other (Can't access/see each other). I tried to ping each other using their respective IPs (found using ipconfig) with no success. They can ping themselves no probs which I think shows the cards are working! The lights on the back of the cards work & flash the odd time but are constantly on. Here's the wierd part:

I tried to play Command & Conquer Tiberian Sun with them & they see each other's names (individual/multiplayer names); the faster one (Dell) can send messages to the Toshiba and the Toshiba receives them ok. When the Tosh tries to send one back, the Dell never gets it. If I create a game with the Dell, it shows up on the Toshiba, but when the Toshiba tries to join, nothing happens. When the Toshiba Hosts a game, it disappears off the list of players on the Dell & won't come up as a game, unlike when the Dell does the same! I'm ssoooooooooooooooo confused!!!
    What's going on & can someone please help! It's been wrecking my head for days now! Even tried different OSs & other games & still doesn't work!

Thanks for any help in advance!

JP

not the right place to post this...but - however- i don't care about.

plz tell us
    how do you connect the pcs to each other.(?)
    is there any firewallsoftware installed?
    are you using dhcp?
    is there a swiitch?
    or a router?

problems like "can't see the pc ,but the other can see me .." are mostly reported from WinXP systems connecting to w2k or win98.

your gamesoft can reach the other pc , so he should be able to ping it!
    i would be confused on this, too.
    (if it would be mine)

i'll try to help... but i do not know about C&C...
    Industry Kills Music.

I'm willing to bet that its a firewall problem.

if you hae a firewall try disabling it, or creating rules to allow traffic on your LAN IP.
    =

BANNED
    Try this and see if this is part of the problem. It's the first thin I found but I'll look some more lemee know if this helps.
    http://eatech.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/e...Z2U9MQ**&p_li=
    When death sleeps it dreams of you...

How is it possible to "see" the computer but not be able to ping it? From what I remember, the syntax of the ping command would be like:
    c:\>ping 192.168.1.102
    on the first computer and
    c:\>ping 192.168.1.101
    on the second
    With IP CPU1=192.168.1.101 and IP CPU2=192.168.1.102
    Make sure that each machine has a different IP address and are part of the same subnet (the first three octets are the same on each machine). You could just set each machine's ip to be static (those addresses above would work very well).

There is a chance (albeit a small one) that the win98 (or ME) machine might not have the TCP/IP protocol installed. But if either machine can access the internet then you must have tcp/ip installed.

I think you need the "client for microsoft networks" installed for the computers to "see" each other using the network neighborhood (I *think*).

I have had some experience playing RA2 (command and conquer) over a network. First is to make sure both computers have the IPX/SPX protocol enabled. Then under network settings (in game) you have to choose the correct network device (there is normally a drop down menu with 3 different selections on my machines, it was always the last selection in the menu). But I haven't played Tiberian Sun on a network or over the internet to know how it is set up.

Anyway, I hope this can spur some creative thoughts to fix the problem. I haven't used 98 since I got 2k and I never used ME.
    You are so bored that you are reading my signature?

@ Stranger: The PCs are connected by Crossover cable. I've tried 3 cables and the result's the same. No switch or router, just straight one to one. Not using DHCP (whatever that is).

The IPs are now:
    Dell: 169.254.124.3
    Tosh: 169.254.124.4

Was told having the first 3 numbers right would make a difference, it hasn't so far. Subnets are the same @ 255.255.0.0

@ cheyenne1212: Firewall's off whenever I try to ping or do any communication between them so I don't think it's that.

@ Muerto: I've tried everything it says there with no success. I've even tried using different PCI slots & reinstalling the hardware drivers, protocols etc each time but nothing changes.

At the moment, the Dell can 'see' itself & the Toshiba, can access itself but can't access the Toshiba. The Toshiba can't see anything in Network Neighbourhood. Both PCs have the same Protocols etc installed & are set up in the same way (aside from IP address - see above).

@ annihilator_god: I'm using the correct ping command & there's only 1 network card that appears in the drop down menu.

Anyone else as confused as I am? =) Cheers for the feeback so far folks!

JP

What kind of firewall you using though?

Some firewalls still stay running even though you click on them and say diable.

Zone Alarm is especially bad at that.

/edit just now looked at the IP's that you have, and that 169.x.x.x is what windows uses when it cannot find a DHCP server to get a IP from.

Did you assign those manually?

If not try assigning it like this

computer 1 : 192.168.1.1 Subent Mask of 255.255.255.0
    COmputer 2 : 192.168.1.2 Subnet Mask of 255.255.255.0

Then make sure both are in same workgroup.
    =

Well, that IP is the local IP try getting the global IP address, correct me if I'm wrong though.

No switch or router, just straight one to one. Not using DHCP (whatever that is).
    I've never setup a LAN but aren't you suppose to have a router to set it up?

EDIT: Isn't there suppose to be a gateway computer? (IP end in .0)
    WARNING: THIS SIGNATURE IS SHAREWARE PLEASE REGISTER THIS SIGNATURE BY SENDING ME MONEY TO SEE THE COMPLETE SIGNATURE!

No you don't have to have a switch/hub/router on a network to create a network. They way he has it set up is a peer 2 peer network.

I think where he went wrong was with his IP's. If I'm correct, he probably forgot to assign IP's to the computer and let windows try to get a IP from a DCHP (which it couldn't) and therefor cannot see eachother.

And both those IP's are private IP's that he has.

/edit the gateway computer is what he would go through to get onto the net with. He would specify the gateways computer address in the gateway IP address box in the network configs. A network does not have to have one if its not needing to get out on the net.
    =

Isn't that what he is trying to do? Get on the net?
    WARNING: THIS SIGNATURE IS SHAREWARE PLEASE REGISTER THIS SIGNATURE BY SENDING ME MONEY TO SEE THE COMPLETE SIGNATURE!