Thread: Wireless SuSE 9.1 on M30

Wireless SuSE 9.1 on M30

Hey all, I've been working for the past two days on how to get my wireless card working. I have a Toshiba Satellite M30, with a Centrino 1.4GHz processor. SuSE 9.1 Linux Pro has detected my wireless card as "Intel Corp. PRO/Wireless LAN 2100 3B Mini PCI Adapter (rev 04)".

I have spent hours searching google and I've looked through the posts here and haven't found any working answers. I have a small home network, and my wireless router (D-Link DI-624) is using WPA-PSK instead of WEP which I was told was easily cracked. I have yet to find any instructions on getting Linux to work with WPA-PSK. I can't even get any of the WEP instructions working. I have tried using ndiswrapper 8.0 to no avail.

I'm sorry if this seems a little vague, I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas? Any links that would help, I just cna't get anything to work, and as hard as I search, I can't find anything. I'm no Linux guru, so perhaps there is some small adjustment that is needed, and I'm just missing it.

If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know.

Thanks,

Dave
    Alcohol & calculus don't mix. Never drink & derive.

As far as I can remember from reading http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Jean_Tourrilhes/Linux/ only WEP support is established in Linux so far, although I'm sure it will not be long before somebody writes a proper encryption scheme for WPA-PSK.

Off the link mentioned there are a number of other useful links. What card you have is not that important: rather, what chipset it has. I have a Satellite aswell, but mine, not having the Centrino technology [I couldn't sacrifice that much processor speed ], has a different wifi card. The chipset could be either PrismII or ORiNOCO, and relevant drivers can be found. Newer drivers would enable a number of additional usefull options.
    /\\

I also suggest looking for new drivers, goto toshiba and find out EXACTLY what chipset it is and if there isnt drivers there use google and put in the chipset and search for drivers.

I recently bought the a satellite. I t has a 2.8ghz w/256 ram (upgd to 2gb). I made the decision to buy this model because it came without an inbuilt wireless device.

as soon as i can be bothered i will purchase the netstumbler kit on the netstumbler website because they tried and tested it (and it comes with an (alright) antenna.)

Check out this site which uses the drivers found here .

Well, I haven't given up hope. I have found a few different drivers, some of which say they support WPA. None of them compile, however, lol. I will have to take a better look at the packages I have installed and perhaps make some adjustments to the kernel. One question, however. I have seen some downloads which include a firmware patch. I still run a dual boot, Windows XP Pro/SuSE 9.1 Pro. I'm scared that if I install a firmware patch from Linux, would my windows OS not be able to detect it anymore? Would there be a way to get the original firmware back?

Thanks for the input!

Dave
    Alcohol & calculus don't mix. Never drink & derive.

Alright, this is off topic, but I have to say something....

Hypronix.... A 1.4GhZ Centrino runs just as fast as a P4 2 Ghz. The Centrino's performance is just cache based. It has a slower clock speed but can do more per cycle.
    Real security doesn't come with an installer.

Originally posted here by D0pp139an93r
    Alright, this is off topic, but I have to say something....

Hypronix.... A 1.4GhZ Centrino runs just as fast as a P4 2 Ghz. The Centrino's performance is just cache based. It has a slower clock speed but can do more per cycle.
    So on a plugged-in basis you would get the same bechmarking out of the Centrino? PM me if you will to avoid a diversion from the topic.

Shouldn't firmware be rather OS-independent? It's a chip on the card that gets 'better' and the inter-conectivity with the BIOS and whatnot does too. I guess it might be different with various kinds of hardware [from routers to wi-fis to whatever else]