View Poll Results: What do (should) you do with ICMP traffic?

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • Block it all.

3 37.50%
  • Block some of it.

3 37.50%
  • Don't block it.

2 25.00%

Thread: A quick & dirty guide to proxies

A quick & dirty guide to proxies

Many people are asking about wingates, proxies, ip banning etc. I hope this manual clears up a few questions.

What is a proxy?
    A proxy is another computer which you can route through on a specified port. A proxy is usually available to the public. Proxies are also set up on networks to tunnel traffic. Proxies are "tunnels" which you can route your data through.

Why would I use a proxy?
    1. To ensure anonymity
    2. To "change your ip"
    3. To fool somebody
    4. to slow down your connection

Where can i find proxies?
    Well, anywhere. heres a pearl of wisdom: GOOGLE.COM
    Free proxy lists are available EVERYWHERE usually in a txt or ini file, or on a web page where you have to copy it into a txt file. Proxies go down, and up, and new ones are always being discovered, so update your lists.

What kind of proxies are available?
    Http (usually port 80): used to route web traffic, used when surfing the web
    Connect (no default port): allows you to route through other proxies through it, creating a chain or 2 or more. Can also be used for irc etc.
    pop3: for pop3 mail
    web proxies (proxy.guardster.com anonymizer.com etc.) used with a web interface which encrypt data.
    ELITE proxies: highly anonymous proxies (awesome!)
    anonymous proxies:anonymous proxies (duh!)
    (i will be discussing mainly connect proxies)

What kind of programs are available for routing through proxies?
    There are many types of proxy apps, but my favorite is PROXYRAMA. (http://gaamoa.deny.de/). It can:
    verify proxies( check proxies for http, connect, anon., wether it is dangerous or not, etc.)
    chain them; (create a proxy on your machine which you route your traffic through which chains the proxies)
    find proxies: (using google etc.)
    remote log poisoning
    and more
    it is VERY customizable.

How do you route through a proxy:
    using proxyrama you can just set internet explorer. go to tools>internet options>connections>lan settings>proxy:127.0.0.1 port:3128 or whatever you set it to in proxyrama.
    Now open proxyrama, right click on a proxy with a yes in the connect column and click add to proxy chain. Click switch to proxy mode, check the options you want and click start proxy. Now load a page in Internet explorer, you can customize your chain by removing broken links and choosing fast proxies. Most internet apps allow the use of a proxy. And, now you are using a proxy. I once chained together 15 proxies and had a list of 25,000 machines. it can also function as a wingate.
    If you are trying to access a site which you are banned from you should be able to bypass IP banning with a proxy.

I hope you found this tutorial helpful,
    unit321
    (I am not responsible for any misuse of the information above. This is provided for educational purposes only. )

Proxies can be used for annonymous surfing. They can be used to tunnel traffic.

However, they are mostly used for web filtering, web caching and inreased security on a corporate or even a basic network.

When you say anonymous... it is somewhat misleading.

You are anonymous ONLY to the website you are visiting. Not to your ISP and not to the proxy.

If I were a evil SOB... I could setup a public web proxy and wait for people that are trying to "protect their identity" online. I can then monitor EVERYTHING they do through my proxy. I could grab any info they enter while on my proxy, etc. That would give me the sites you visit, email account details, and any other online services you use.

I would recommend that public proxies are only used when you want to post anonymously at an online site or etc. I would not use a public proxy for all my surfing.

If you are using a proxy in hopes that you can get away with something that would be considered illegal... don't think that a proxy can protect you. It just ads a minor detour for anyone trying to trace you. If they have the authority... and the sysadmins of the proxies are willing to cooperate... you're activities will be given up without a thought. The sysadmins are going to protect their ass before yours.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

im not saying that proxies give complete anonymity, im just saying they help. The traffic between you and your ISP would be pretty useless, if whoever wants to see your info doesnt know your isp, it slows down trace times etc. Im just putting the info out there for people who might want to use it, im not saying a proxy is perfect. You cant be completeley anonymous but a proxy is one big step, other ideas include encryption, not connecting to the internet etc. Im just putting the info out there, but you do have a good point.
    if you have time be sure to drop my my website at www.johnscompany.net

I know that you are trying to put info out there... but you only put half the info.

I just filled in some blanks.

Sure, there are other means to protecting yourself (identity) online. I feel that proxies are the worse means possible. But thats my own opinion.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

i could post a tutorial on protecting your identity, but i thought i would post on one on using proxies, because of the large amount of people i see wondering what they are, how to use one etc.

Antionline's Security Dude instronics's Avatar
    *SIGH*

Proxies are not designed to 'hide' your IP. They are not made for annonymity. Proxies are made for
    phishphreek80

However, they are mostly used for web filtering, web caching and inreased security on a corporate or even a basic network.
    In addition if setup correctly its used for application level firewalls too (inreased security on a corporate or even a basic network).

So, saying that :
    Proxies can be used for annonymous surfing.
    has a typo in there. It should be:

Proxies can be abused for annonymous surfing.

Which in the end, alltogether, brings up an old arguement thats been going on for a long time:

THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS ANNONYMITY!
    period.

Not to mention the increased risks: "Security through obscurity"
    Thinking that you are safer/annonymous/invisible/blablabla lowers the rest of your security in general.

There are many proxies out there that belong to governments, they filter out everything they want. Some even are honeynets/pots and some even belong to malicous users, that capture info that way, not to mention an increase on the proxy server's logfiles with your ip in over hundreds of lines.

Bottom line is: Unless you own the proxy server, or you know and trust the proxies owner 100%, its UNSAFE!

/rant-end

unit321, by no means do i intend to offend you. Im just adding information for users who dont know a thing about proxies.

Cheers.
    Ubuntu-: Means in African : "Im too dumb to use Slackware"

‚h@‚`‚l@‚‚’‚‚–‚‰‚„‚‰‚Ž‚‡@‚‚™@‚‚’‚‚˜‚™@‚Œ‚‰‚“‚”@‚ˆ‚…‚’‚…B‚s‚‚‹‚…@‚‰‚”@‚‰‚*@‚™‚‚•@‚—‚‚Ž‚”