Thread: Don't Get Phished

Don't Get Phished

DON’T GET PHISHED

-Take Some Simple Precautions to Avoid Getting Netted by Internet “Phishing” Scams-

©2004 Financial Education Corporation

This information is provided for users to defend themselves from internet scams and fishing attempts. This information is presented by the American Bankers Association to various banks around the country. It is not a Tutorial, just passing some information provided to me by the bank I used to work for. Enjoy.

Protecting yourself against E-Mail Fraud

Internet “phishing” scams are one of the fastest-growing frauds today. Phishing typically involves a bogus e-mail message that uses legitimate materials, such as a company’s Website graphics and logos, in an attempt to entice e-mail recipients to provide personal financial details, such as credit card and Social Security numbers.

Financial institutions, government agencies, retailers, credit card companies and many other organizations have seen their Web site graphics, including corporate logos and other materials, “borrowed” by fraudsters intent on tricking consumers into divulging personal financial information by responding to an official-looking but entirely bogus, email. Like many cons and scams, phishing preys on the unwary. Here’s how you can keep your guard up, and help fight back against this form of fraud.

Take some simple Precautions

o Never respond to an unsolicited e-mail that asks for detailed financial information. Know whom you are dealing with.
    o Report anything suspicious to the proper authorities. Alert the company or government agency identified in the suspect e-mail through a Web address or telephone number that you know its legitimate.
    o You can also contact the Internet Crime Complaint Center at http://www.ifccfbi.gov – a partnership between the FBI and the National White Collar Crime Center – if you think you have received a phishing e-mail or have been directed to a “phishy-looking” Web site.

“Stop, Look and Call”

The Department of Justice advises e-mail users to “stop, look and call” if they receive a suspicious e-mail.

o Stop. Resist the urge to immediately respond to a suspicious e-mail – and to provide the information requested – despite urgent or exaggerated claims.
    o Look. Read the text of the e-mail several times and ask yourself why the information requested would really be needed.
    o Call. Telephone the organization identified, using a number that you know to be legitimate.

If you have been “Phished…”

If you believe that you have provided sensitive financial information about yourself through a phishing scam, you should:

o Immediately contact your financial institution.
    o Contact the three major credit bureaus and request that a fraud alert be placed on your credit report. The credit bureaus and phone numbers are: Equifax, 1-800-525-6285 ; Experian, 1-888-397-3742; and TransUnion, 1-800-680-7289.
    o File a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission at http://www.ftc.gov or 1-877-382-4357

Consumers should never provide their personal information in response to an unsolicited telephone call, fax, letter, e-mail or internet advertisement, says the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation.

The bottom line: Don’t get hooked by fraudulent phishing attempts!

Nice post. I only see this getting worse before it gets better. Just wait until you have crackers hacking into large isp's dns servers so they can point bankofamerica dot com to their rogue servers.

I see it as a matter of time before Phishers and scammers start implementing more technically savvy attacks. Picture a worm that alters a system's host file, to re-direct unsuspecting surfers to fake sites.

--PuRe
    Like this post? Visit PuRe\'s Information Technology Community. We\'ve also got some kick ass Technology Forums. Shop for books and dvds on LiveWebShop.com

I see it as a matter of time before Phishers and scammers start implementing more technically savvy attacks. Picture a worm that alters a system's host file, to re-direct unsuspecting surfers to fake sites
    Well I sure hope so. Someone has to do it....how else is technology going to advance?

Very intriguing information you've shared cybrid, it has certainly opened my eyes to the possibilities, or the what if's..
    thanks for sharing..

nite-
    1+1=2
    Math\'s teacher at day.
    ub3r l337 g33k at night.
    What a complicated life indeed.

T3h Ch3F

Good Shiznit.

CyBrid, You actually help pll. Geezuz I wanna be like you, when I grow up.......

Good read, and I have had a recent problem with my (Cyber Moronic) business partner, regarding the dangers of broad searches regarding our WBM, as he reformats his PC at least once a month......... Then searches out Webservio, using google for the login page.

Yes he abuses Cannabis.

I showed him this page, for the over 20th time, yesterday.

http://mail3.webcentric-tn.com:8383/...99e92ebfb2409/

kk..he says..ya man.........I know................................

Yet his acct. was auto sending spam, for all of the fourth of july weekend. As I pulled up his history, among the insane ammt. of adult type files, were links to spoofed, Webservio pages, not even good spoofs, crappy ass pages.

Blue Banners..................... No man remember the login page had no Ads, for Prn.

Damn he makes me feel smart sometimes.

Get some good religion from Bad Religion.

CyBrid, You actually help pll. Geezuz I wanna be like you, when I grow up.......
    you're probably older than me