Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Whats a good stable OS?

Question Whats a good stable OS?

Hey, I am gonna reformat my computer later on this week, but i was thinking about installing another OS than the one that i currently have (windows 2000 pro), i was thinking about windows98 or XP, but i am not too sure which one is better or stable....ore more secure.
    thx
    -S3nate

XP would be more stable, and have more features than 98, but
    would require a more powerful processor and memory than 98.

Since you've already been running 2000, you should have no problem
    upgrading to XP.

I still run 98 and don't consider in unstable, but it depends on the software you run too.
    I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.

I still run 98 and don't consider in unstable, but it depends on the software you run too.
    Same here, oh and damn straight But seriously, if you want a stable OS you should look into OpenBSD. I find it reliable, stable, and perform's better than any OS I've worked with.
    Space For Rent.. =]

98 has it's advantages, think of it this way, you won't be affected by a lot of the newest worms that come out.
    XP has plenty of features that 98 doesn't have which can either be usefull or useless depending on what you like to do on the computer.

But make sure to check if all your hardware (such as CD-RW drives or printers/scanners) support XP and/or 98 (depending on which one you choose. If you are used to Windows 2000 you should probably go with XP as you wont be seeing the same things in 98 as you do in 2000 (e.g. login screens). But if you go with 98 make sure to apply all security patches. Hope it helps
    WARNING: THIS SIGNATURE IS SHAREWARE PLEASE REGISTER THIS SIGNATURE BY SENDING ME MONEY TO SEE THE COMPLETE SIGNATURE!

If you have 2000 already, you have one of the best..........I would go Win98SE and one of the *nix distros after that.

XP is OK, but I am not sure that it will perform that well, as I am not sure of your kit?

I still like Win 2000!

Go with win98 you carn't go wrong, they are good for getting some good uptime on, plus gaming. And i haven't been able to get my win98 box to crash so i'd say it's pretty stable..

cheers
    f2b:.

Oh I've gotten my win 98 box to crash plenty of times

But it is true what you do with your system determines the life of it.

I would recommend going to XP if you have the processing power and ram to do it.

XP can run on 128MB of ram but I don't recommend it, I would suggest at least 256MB of ram.
    =

XP Pro. For what hardware you have, I'd stick with 2000Pro.
    Chris Shepherd
    The Nelson-Shepherd cutoff: The point at which you realise someone is an idiot while trying to help them.
    \"Well as far as the spelling, I speak fluently both your native languages. Do you even can try spell mine ?\" -- Failed Insult
    Is your whole family retarded, or did they just catch it from you?

If you make it stable, it will be stable !

I'd personally go with windows98Se, or maybe go with a linux platform like Debian, Red Hat, or maybe even Gentoo..
    But i would suggest that maybe you might even stick with the operating system you are using at the moment, as it might suit your present needs, or you might not feel comfortable with using a different Operating System.
    But what ever you choose in the end, will be the Operating System that best meet's your needs.

nite-
    1+1=2
    Math\'s teacher at day.
    ub3r l337 g33k at night.
    What a complicated life indeed.