Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Whats a good stable OS?

I have Windows 2000 Pro and it hasn't crashed... well.. for a very long time. I believe it's not so much the operating system that you use, but the software you put on it that will determine how stable it is. No matter what OS you use, it can be potentially unstable if you put lots of **** on it.

Of course there are always exceptions. Windows ME is the exception. Stay away from it and you'll be fine.

mjk

mjk: I plan on getting (one of these sad day's) a Win2k Pro laptop to use as a webserver/file server for myself/my company. It'll be at home and whatnot, but my question was do you think it's a good idea to have it on a laptop acting as solely a server? Would it make a good, stable, reliable one? Thanks in advance
    Space For Rent.. =]

Originally posted here by Spyder32
    mjk: I plan on getting (one of these sad day's) a Win2k Pro laptop to use as a webserver/file server for myself/my company. It'll be at home and whatnot, but my question was do you think it's a good idea to have it on a laptop acting as solely a server? Would it make a good, stable, reliable one? Thanks in advance

A **** LOAD of cooling. Laptops are in a very tiny case which has no room for heat to go. I'd say put the thing in a freezer that uses dry ice.

Yeah, I didn't realize/remember that until nihil pointed it out to me in a PM conversation we were having. He advised me not to use a latptop as the server, but use Win2000 Pro as the OS. The only trouble is, I would need a regular box for the server and I'm running out of room to put it. So I'm going to have to figure certain thing's out about that.
    Space For Rent.. =]

Yeah Spyder I think Win2k would work well as a server. I've never had any problems with it crashing. I think it's safe to say my uptime would be months if I didn't turn it off every night.

I would also advise you not to use a laptop for a server... But if it's your only option I'd say try it out for a while and see how well it does.

Sorry about the delayed response I haven't had access to a computer for a while.

mjk:

Sorry about the delayed response I haven't had access to a computer for a while.
    You have been running WinME again, haven't you

Spyder~

Might I suggest a nice big desktop case? It will sit on your desk with the screen on top...............sure, I know that towers are cool, but a decent sized desktop will do about the same, and you can stack them...........You may need to build an ektoskeleton, but it can be done.......look at your server racks at work?

If you look at purpose built servers, they are all rack design, but they are also FLAT/stacking design?.............you have problems in the house that are really not that different from work?

"Think lateral old chap"