LAN in WinXP
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: LAN in WinXP

LAN in WinXP

Hi,this is not exatly a security question but i hope you can answer anyway...i'm trying to set up a simple LAN between 2 PC both using WinXP Professional, and i used the automatic configuration.
    The shared internet connection works,and on the "server" i can access the shared files of the "client"...but i can't access the shared files on the "Server" from the "client"!
    I see the computer in the network resources,but if i try to open it Windows says i dont't have authorization...but the shared folders are not protected!
    I dont't know what to do, if someone can help me i thank him very much!

P.S: The firewall on the "Server" is configured to accept connection from the "Client" IP

On the computer whose files you can't access:
    Navigate to the files you want shared, right click on the file > properties > click on the tab labeled security> make sure that permissions are correct for the users you want to allow access to the files.
    Faqt

If you want to make God laugh....make plans.

i removed all user permission and i gave all permissions to "everyone", just to make sure i can access the files, but nothing is changed!
    I simply can't access to the computer in "Network Resources" from the other...

You said both computers are running XP, how are you distinguishing between client and server?
    What firewall?
    Both computers formatted NTFS?
    Are you members of a domain?
    Faqt

I consider "Server" the PC that have the Internet connection...with the automatic net configuration i checked "The Computer is directly connected to Internet ecc.". The "client" is the other PC.
    They are not really a server and a client,i called them this way to make things easier

I'm using Outpost Firewall and both PCs are NTFS.
    I'm not member of any domain,i'm using a workgroup.

try completly disabling all firewalls to elliminate that as a possibility.

Are you connecting with a cross over cable?

You said internet connection is working on both computers?

Have you tried rebooting both machines?
    * This seems to be a mysterious solution to alot of things.
    Faqt

Yes i'm using a cross cable and i reeboted several times...i have redone the net configuration too...

As I said in the first post, the internet connection is correctly working on both PCs, and i can access the shared files of the client.

I tried to disable the firewall too...

wait the question of the cross over cable made me think...what are the consequences for not using it?

Originally posted here by Kyle_The ****3r
    wait the question of the cross over cable made me think...what are the consequences for not using it?
    Uhhmmm...not good. Each cable and ethernet interface has several separate pins inside of it (in the cable, these pins terminate the wires) Specific pins are used for sending data, and others for receiving. If you wire to a router, you use straight-through cabling. If you wire card to card, you have to use crossover to get the correct pins to match up at the interface. Consequences of not using the correct wiring? I'm not sure, but it would definitely not work at all and might bork your cards.

You've checked the permissions for the files you want to share, how about the permissions for the folders those files are in? Make sure they are shared and that permissions are set for the users you want access for.
    Faqt