Thread: pings always time out

pings always time out

I am currently stationed in Iraq with the US Army. We have an internet cafe in our building with ten desktops all running Windows XP, and two laptop stations. I was curious one day and ran ipconfig on all the computers. When I got on my laptop I tried to ping one of the desktops and my request timed out. So I ran arp -a and there were no entries found. I tried frp open and I got unknown error number.I also tried tracert and all I got was *** request timed out for all 30 hops. I got on one of the desktops and I pinged my laptop just fine but I couldnt ping another desktop. I get the same results when I ping any one of the desktops. Am I new and retarded or just new???? Any help would be great. Thanks

Is it just me or does this sound like a SE attempt? Because as far as I'm concerned the U.S. Army has experts on computers and security and etc.. But if you must know it could be a firewalls on either end not allowing to leave/enter the computer (depending where the firewall is) internet cafe try to be as secure as possible..
    WARNING: THIS SIGNATURE IS SHAREWARE PLEASE REGISTER THIS SIGNATURE BY SENDING ME MONEY TO SEE THE COMPLETE SIGNATURE!

FYI Im not in the army for computers Im an MP (military police) I know, I know the bad guys. I dont know enough about computers to tell you if Im doing something wrong let alone you guys. I thought it was a firewall but would it even block the computers on its own network?

Well Axe,

If you are where you say you are, then you could reasonably expect Uncle Sam to be controlling every aspect of the war. I say war, because I don’t believe it’s over until all of you folks are home. And in perspective, the cyber war is very important as well. A fly couldn’t fart on that network without someone hearing it and smelling it. They could even tell what he ate! So when you use your Internet Café, keep that in mind. And, you can anticipate not being able to utilize some of the utils that we come to appreciate. The reasons are self-explanatory.

We appreciate all of our service members so stay safe!

Cheers
    Connection refused, try again later.

More than likely the desktops have the XP Firewall turned on. It can be configured not to respond to ICMP (ping). That would be why you can ping your laptop, but not the desktops. (I'm assuming youre on a LAN and on the same subnet.) If you're leaving your segment then it could be routers or firewalls in between that are blocking these protocols.

As for traceroute, the routers are probably configured not to give you information about the routes that it takes. They probably don't want anyone knowing how their netowork is laid out... and for good reason too.

Check out tigershark's tutorial that somewhat relates to this @
    http://antionline.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=258169

Since you're an MP, you should know what you are allowed and prohibited from doing on their network. This isn't really a bad thing anyway...

I just pitched in to get some more Air Conditioners out to our troops in Iraq.
    Hopefully you'll benefit from the donations and goods that we've collecting and sending out on a regular basis.

http://operationac.com/dw_pages/opacnews.htm
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

If they are all networked (possibly behind a router and whatnot) then that is what you would get as a response being your behind a router or firewall.
    Space For Rent.. =]

T3h Ch3F

Just In Case

Originally posted here by The Axe
    I am currently stationed in Iraq with the US Army. We have an internet cafe in our building with ten desktops all running Windows XP, and two laptop stations. I was curious one day and ran ipconfig on all the computers. When I got on my laptop I tried to ping one of the desktops and my request timed out. So I ran arp -a and there were no entries found. I tried frp open and I got unknown error number.I also tried tracert and all I got was *** request timed out for all 30 hops. I got on one of the desktops and I pinged my laptop just fine but I couldnt ping another desktop. I get the same results when I ping any one of the desktops. Am I new and retarded or just new???? Any help would be great. Thanks
    Although I tend to agree with Raion regarding this post, I will donate the benefit of the doubt, to an extent. Yet as a former Marine Intel. Vet. (Gulf 1, the phantom menace). I would have to begin by wondering how well you are trained, if you are indeed MP, you should know that your "Curiosity" in this case is just plain stupidity. (let alone Illegal) Let alone the fact that you are posting your clear violation of Military Law...........Duh.

Question-

You stated "when I got on my laptop", that you tried to ping one of the desktops......blah blah..........

Where were you pinging it from, the WIFI provided by a circling AWACS?

Bro, if you were in my unit, and I found out you were "just being curious" considering all the bullshit that is going on right now, you could pretty much guarantee yourself a trip back home.
    arriving just in time for the court martial.

http://www.antionline.com/showthread...852#post767852

This just seems like BS to me. (if I am wrong no disrespect).

Remember I speak as a Vet, not as a Civilian.

Be good.

Gal
    Get some good religion from Bad Religion.

I thank all of you that support the troops here. And I thank you again for the help. Just a note Police dont get training on computers that is a whole different job in the army, we would just go to apprehend the subject, we would not do the investigation. Sorry for the mix up. Again thank you.

T3h Ch3F

USMC

Originally posted here by The Axe
    I thank all of you that support the troops here. And I thank you again for the help. Just a note Police dont get training on computers that is a whole different job in the army, we would just go to apprehend the subject, we would not do the investigation. Sorry for the mix up. Again thank you.

That's why I joined the Marines.
    Get some good religion from Bad Religion.