Networking Basics
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Networking Basics

Networking Basics

Hello guys.
    i am relatively new to the networking basics, and here i need ur kowledge, i am running win XP and a ADSL modem, which are running fine, noe i have another computer with win 2000, to which i want to provide internet, may be through some proxy, i have downloaded a proxy from www.analogx.com, but i do not know how to configure TCP/IP, and i do not know how to and what IP address to assign and where.
    I wonder if someone can help me with it.
    Thanks for your time ad patience.
    Regards
    Harbir

Since your main computer (the one with the internet connection) is Windows XP, why don't you use the wizard provided.

Go to 'Control Panel', then to 'Network Setup Wizard', then follow the prompts for sharing an internet connection.

Your best bet though, would be to purchase a router and connect both computers to it, and let it be your gateway to the internet. Then you have the added protection of a hardware firewall that the router provides.
    \"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!\"
    Author Unknown

yeah I agree with moxnix, your best bet is to spend $50 and buy a linksys router. Easiest thing to do.
    =

Actually ICS blows chunks, go with router/firewall idea.

peace
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

I personally wouldn't get a Linksys. I found that I can take an old pc (like an old pentium2 you can always find someone getting rid of one those) and load OpenBSD or RHLinux and have a faster and more secure router/firewall and if you want to nab a couple of extra NIC's so you have 3 you can even make it a bridging router/firewall... I've always done that because I can get the hardware free and have it up and running in about 15 minutes (I'm thinking about righting up a tutorial/guide or whatever on setting up a BSD router/firewall if anyones interested I'll do it)... I've also used those boxes to set up VPNs cheaper and easier and for most applications more secure... we use them here at work... (Diebold Inc.) Well not P2's but still on a pc

LeeBkr311,
    I don't know if you noticed or not, but the guy is a newbie and he is using Windows boxes. Can you imagine what would happen with a misconfigured *nix box set up as a firewall on his network. Many people who think they know what they are doing with *nix firewalls still misconfigure them. It is basically like asking someone to own you.

I agree with the others, get a linksys router. They are cheap and easy to configure. I would definately not recommend it for a company, but for home use it is fine.
    Sysmin Sys73m47ic
    -The Hacker Pimps
    -Development Team {FuxorWRT}
    http://www.AntiOnline.com/sig.php?imageid=563

Banned
    Hi ...

Again..me in a little funky mood, so right info ,.. but lot of humour.

India is not a place were you can think of spending Rs. 3000 + taxes on a mere linksys router.. coz not the whole socitey is so tech savvy moreover inflation is high.... u r using windows, I m sure it will be pirated and duplicate (;-) honesty hurts.. )) but its a fact coz it comes for Rs. 150 , think of it like < $4.

I my self run an OEM pirated Windows 2000 AS. and 2k professional :-), with loads of MS office and other tools all pirated , cant help it licenced would be out of reach.

The best solution is get another NIC ( compex Rs. 300 ($ 5-6)) a cross cable Rs 50-100 ($2) , install on the old box and connect them back to back, then use the XP feature as told in one of the above notes.. and it will work fine.

Personal advice .. use VSNL DLS it rocks.. rest are all 128 (download/upload) , wereas VSNL is (512 ) upload :-) and prefer hourly plan.. it goes great.....

Let me know if you need some more information.............................

Regards
    kido.

Thanx for ur help & efforts Kido, I appreciate it. Firstly i am not using Pirated Windows XP, secondly i cannot use VSNL as i am not in India(though i am Indian, and pround to be one), right now i am in Australia and even when I was in India i used to work on win98 & that too was not pirated. I understand ur point of view and appreciate that u understand the general problem well back in home, even i share similar views.
    U get What U pay for.

I my self run an OEM pirated Windows 2000 AS. and 2k professional :-), with loads of MS office and other tools all pirated , cant help it licenced would be out of reach.
    I am sorry but this sorta pisses me off. I mean I am not saying I have never used any pirated software (to test and see if I like). But please do not boast about using pirates software. Instead or using pirated software use linux or something so that you don't have to worry about paying.

I do not agree/endorse pirated software and I know there are probably alot here into the warez thing but I just don't agree with it.

- MilitantEidolon
    Yeah thats right........I said It!

Ultimately everyone will have their own opinion--this is mine.

Banned
    Hey buddy...

With no offense we all have right to expres.... If the licence here was Cheap i would be the first one to use ORIGINAL Software and buy licence...

But honestly its not.. i know its bad to use pirated, but tell me were the cost of a Server licence is your one month salary what would you opt ?

Compare $ 3-4 with $ 700-800 and you will know what makes it so hot in here.. i know its bad .. but sometimes you have to risk the dark in order to see the face of light.

Honestly i have paid microsoft a lot bak by telling people how to save on attacks and crashes.. so if i m using it i m payin them in some other way as well... :-)

Regards
    Kido