Transparent Desktop Opens Doors

Thread: Transparent Desktop Opens Doors

Transparent Desktop Opens Doors

Collaborating with co-workers in the same office is painful enough, but it's nigh impossible over a network.

For a couple of decades, researchers have tried to blend shared workspaces -- systems that allow two or more people to work on the same document -- with Internet video-conferencing systems, with little success.
    Today's the Day. Now researchers at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill have designed a new system that cleverly blends a video-conference feed with a transparent image of a computer desktop into one full-screen window.
    Source
    http://www.wired.com/news/technology...w=wn_3techhead

But the researchers say it has obvious uses in other areas such as medical imaging or remote teaching.
    Now this would be worthwhile technologie for Hosptials or Clinics that are isolated from the City.
    The system is implemented in Mac OS X and is made possible largely by the system's Quartz rendering engine, which can make any part of the interface transparent. Thanks to Quartz, a quick prototype was whipped up in about 45 minutes, Smith said.

A PC version will likely be delayed until the release of Longhorn, the next major version of Windows, due in 2006, which will include a similar graphics subsystem.
    I wonder how long it would take to convert this program to run on a *nix platform?
    But i guess if you carn't wait to give this program you could always go out and by a Mac..

Thanks for this Article Dead Addict.
    nite-
    1+1=2
    Math\'s teacher at day.
    ub3r l337 g33k at night.
    What a complicated life indeed.

Originally posted here by 1+1=2
    I wonder how long it would take to convert this program to run on a *nix platform?
    But i guess if you carn't wait to give this program you could always go out and by a Mac..
    1+1=2
    Actually the Mac OS X runs on a open source core based on FreeBSD 5.0, so it shouldn't take that long at all.

Flash M0nkey
    ow this would be worthwhile technologie for Hosptials or Clinics that are isolated from the City.
    But i guess if you carn't wait to give this program you could always go out and by a Mac.
    save someones life but you gotta do it using a mac - is it really worth it?

v_Ln