IDE Connections
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: IDE Connections

Flash M0nkey

IDE Connections

Ok just installed my new Graphics card (actually its old one from previous PC - Geforce 4...but better than on board graphics that came with this PC)

In order to get it slotted in I had to rearrange alot of things - most importantly my DVD & CD-RW drives as the IDE cable was blocking the slot for the Graphics card

So i unplugged them as well as my HD as its cable was blocking access to the CD drives cable.

Fitted graphics card and secured it then plugged in DVD / CD-RW & HD - turned the PC on and installed drivers for new graphics card...thought all was working fine

but when I try to open a CD in either the DVD or CD-RW drive it wont open

I can view the contents of the CD (takes a while longer than normal though) but when I try to run anything or copy anything from CD it slows whole computer down and appears to freeze

HD is installed in the first IDE slot
    DVD master in IDE 2 - with CD-RW as slave

could I have got them in the worng IDE slots - doe that make a difference?

Operating system Win XP pro

v_Ln

AO French Antique News Whore
    Did you change from Power Connector? Sure you're plug very hard? This is the type of hardware error that very hard to find except doing test and error method.
    -Simon \"SDK\"

Flash M0nkey
    yup checked all the connectors to ensure are in properly and can see no problems there

I am thinking that there is a conflict between the onboard graphics and the new card(or old as you put it) you installed. I would disable the onboard graphics if you haven't done that already, that could be the problem on why the machine and display are slow.

Flash M0nkey
    was thinkiong that as well but when i check under device manager i can't find a listing for the onboard graphics?

v_Ln

Then it must be listed somewhere in the bios settings to turn it on or off. or it could be because the cpu can't keep up with the data stream coming from the graphics card.

Flash M0nkey
    or it could be because the cpu can't keep up with the data stream coming from the graphics card.
    am taking this that you mean the cpu might be too slow

well am running 2.4ghz cpu with 512ram last machine was only like a PII with 128ram and worked ok in it

v_Ln

In that case then the only other thing that comes to mind right now is a driver issue. Or the mother board just doesn't like the card you installed in it. Just wondering is the card in a AGP slot or is it a PCI slot.

Flash M0nkey
    hrm is a puzzler cause the drivers all seem to be fine - just installed the Geforce ones when i set up the card (latest drivers from website) and all looks good in device manager

oh well will take a look at it again tomorrow - thinking about pulling an all nighter tonight - but just to do shite all - can't be arsed doing anything but dont wanna sleep - lol

Flash M0nkey
    ok think i have the problem sussed

- just had major system failure - whole PC died....about 8hrs up-time since i installed card
    so decided to take card out until had a proper chance to test/check system

crack case take out card - itsd ****in roasting....like i mean really realy hot

card fan must be bust or somthing cause i never felt it get that hot before - so looks like time for a new card (i know i could get a replacment fan but i been looking for an excuse to ugrade lol )

v_Ln