Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DMCA Strikes Again

This company thinks that ONLY they should be able to maintain hardware that they manufacturer.
    I don't think that applys in this case, it's more like a company hacking CISCO pix firwalls, modifying the code then reselling them?
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

Maybe so... but thats not the way I understood it.

I understood it that this tech bypassed a certain control that allowed him access to maintain the equipment. Well, at least debug it. I didn't see that he sold the password or the way to bypass it... he just sold his repair service.

But then again, I didn't read the legal docs. I just read the blurb in the first link.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

This is scarry stuff. I had typed up a huge reply, but it isn't really worth posting it. We know this is headed in a bad direction.

I don't get how they were able to throw in all sorts of "processes" so derail everything from the maintence/debugging/repairing that it is. "Defendants copy the Code by turning on the machine; however, they do so not just for repair, but also for the express purpose of circumventing plaintiff's security measures, modifying the Maintenance Level, and intercepting plaintiff's Event Messages." That is all part of this repair process, isn't it? When you repair it the Right Way (tm) you go through this exact same process! At least that's what I assume.

Really, this DMCA stuff is getting out of hand. This preliminary injunction better get overturned or something. IANAL - but I assume that for the time being doing what that dude did is illegal. Again, IANAL but I would think that since this is a preliminary injunction and quite specific to StorageTech, and since money isn't involed in resetting your password, you can do it? Don't trust my word though, this world is quickly becoming a confusing place for a High School Senior like me...

The BIG 4-0-0!
    I want my sr member benefits package!

AO Part Timer
    **** the DMCA ( I'll print the shirts and donate the profit to a non profit orgnization out to stop them, want one pm me)

What next, am I going to have to call a tech to change the ink cartridge in my printer since I am not authorized to circumvent the lid? I mean this does nothing but put a monoploy on a product. So I can't take my car to any place put the dealership to have the computer serviced? I mean realisticlly I don't think this case will go anywhere, but I have seen stranger things happen.

Antionline's Security Dude instronics's Avatar
    Ok, i got a stupid question here. Since im not very familiar with DMCA, and many other things, since i live in a lil village in greece.... does this DMCA have power internationally. Let us say for example the DELL example provided by phishphreek80.

If it was a violation of the DMCA, just if... here you can by DELL equipment too. Does that mean, that here in greece, i would not be able to 'maintain' the hardware myself? Im sorry if i sound like a stupid n00b here, but all these greedy buisiness policies, and official 'things' such as the DMCA is so unknown here. Some of you mention that you hope it never comes to canada, or other places. Maybe someone can help clarify for me which 'sections' can do what, who/what/where is it affective...

No offense here, i know that in the US, these things are becomming a pain, and out of hand for many many things. But what about other people around the globe, who use the same products?

Cheers.

/edit

If you dont wanna clog this thread answering my question, pm it to me, unless you think that other users would benefit from the info.

Cheers.
    Ubuntu-: Means in African : "Im too dumb to use Slackware"

instronics:

No, the DMCA doesn't apply to you. It was passed in the US.
    However, your country may have similar laws?

Maybe using Dell was a bad example. I was using a "special latch" as my example when that would be incorrect. If the special latch was computerized and you had to get a certain code from them to open the latch... then maybe it would apply.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.