Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: XP over the network

AOs Resident Troll
    Setting up and using another user is a good way to see if it is that users profile that is buggered......
    If another user can log on and connect to the server...then it becomes a user specific issue...not machine specific.

Can the user use another machine ??
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

haha, I am having a hard time trying to convey to you how horrible this network is setup. All people sign onto the root with the administrator password. I nearly crapped myself when I first saw this. I told them that they need to change it immediately and they said they weren't allowed to do anything until I got word from "the top" and then I would be able to sign a contract and fix it. I am still so awwed by this because it is so wide open. So this user logging onto the machine from another machine doesn't mean anything. Um. I will look into setting up a new user and seeing if that will work.

- MilitantEidolon
    Yeah thats right........I said It!

Ultimately everyone will have their own opinion--this is mine.

so what you are saying is that they all have the same user/password, and the username is administrator... furthermore, they don't want to let you make changes to that without signing a contract?!?

i understand the contract part, but not the way they are setup.....

yes, try pinging the NAME and tell us what happens.... also, if they all have the same user/password - verify that somehow the password on the 1 machine didn't get changed.

also, check on the server to make sure that no one changed the connection limit from default (max)
    [gloworange]find / -name \"*your_base*\" -exec chown us:us {} \\;[/gloworange] [glowpurple]Trust No One[/glowpurple][shadow] Use Hardened Gentoo [/shadow]
    CATAPULTAM HABEO. NISI PECUNIAM OMNEM MIHI DABIS, AD CAPUT TUUM SAXUM IMMANE MITTAM

AOs Resident Troll
    I can relate...

I get most of my work by fixing other people mistakes.

Usually I put it to the owner or the person at the "top" that paying me to continue to try and fix this mess is a waste of time and money. I then propse to them that I reinstall and set it up correctly (for a large sum of money)or they can call someone else to support it.
    Its not worth the headache or frustration for me to continue...and I am far too busy to deal with other peoples messes...and lack of documentation

Otherwords...It is setup and configured my way...or I dont support it...

MLF

I already checked the server for any limits they are all set to default (max).

Well let me try to explain how they are hooked up into the network. We will use Jim as an example. Lets say Jim is trying to get onto the network. Jim walks into work chipper as all hell, grabs himself a cup of coffee sits down at his computer to read his email and check his bid on his BMW on Ebay. Well Jim clicks his name on the logon on name and simply clicks through the password. He pops open his email and then opens his browser to look on ebay. *ring*ring* (Jim is getting a call) Jim scoops up the phone he chats for a bit and then pulls up the company database and looks over the financial records and customer information. He answers the question on the phone and chats little about his wife and kids and then brags about the 1 under par game he hit on the weekend.

Now lets sit back and look at this Jim never has had to enter a password not once since he logged on to the computer he didn't enter one to log into the database he didn't enter one to enter the network drive he didn't enter one to log onto his email or to access the internet. Jim is a sitting duck with everything open. So imaging this and then imagine that all of a sudden you cant access the network drive. I checked for any proggies running. I ran it through Norton and Housecall (found and removed a trojan) and that was it.

The server is running windows 2000 Advanced (an industry standard right?). Well they have 8 computers hooked into this network. All these computers are hooked up to the network using the Administrator Name and Password. However all the computers have their local users I have already checked the client PC to make sure that the Username and Password are correct (even restarted it a few times to check) and still nothing. I will try pinging the server by the name.

Sorry if this post is hard to read I have been interrupted about 15 times since writting this so please bare with me.

- MilitantEidolon

AOs Resident Troll
    sorry

I am confused...
    Are the users using the Server Administrator account\ password or the local XP admin account password??
    When they log on are they using the actuall admistrator account...or a user with administrative rights.??

Yeah sorry I thought I would confuse every haha. Anyway when you map a network drive you can select connect to with a different Username and Password. Well the previos Admin would Click that enter the Administrators Username and Password to gain access to the server.

Oh the upside to the admin is that he did change the administrators username yup he changed it to the name of the company what a huge improvement (sarcasm).

The user logs onto the computer by just clicking his/her name and then they are on with administrator rights for everything.

- MilitantEidolon

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    Usually I put it to the owner or the person at the "top" that paying me to continue to try and fix this mess is a waste of time and money. I then propse to them that I reinstall and set it up correctly (for a large sum of money)or they can call someone else to support it.
    Its not worth the headache or frustration for me to continue...and I am far too busy to deal with other peoples messes...and lack of documentation

Otherwords...It is setup and configured my way...or I dont support it...
    Take this advice from morganlefay, and use it.
    When they see sense it will 'probably' be too late.
    Get an image of one of the stations ASAP, that way at least there will be something to build on...........

Get the admin account away from the [L]users, strong password for that, then get the users reassigned as users, with passwords where you pointed out.

now re-read the advice above, and get them to listen, or WALK AWAY.
    (keep the image, it gets valuable when the sh*t hits.)

If all this fails, sit back and watch the fireworks, cos' July 4th COULD come twice this year.
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

If all this fails, sit back and watch the fireworks, cos' July 4th COULD come twice this year.
    Thanks I needed that!

- MilitantEidolone