Thread: Ghost and NTFS

Ghost and NTFS

I'm trying to ghost an image of a workstation that I just got in.

They don't have CDRW, so I was going to back them up to removable HD via USB.

I can get ghost 2002 to recognize the removable USB HD, but I can't get it to recognize the OS's HD.

All these machines are going to be the same with the exception of a couple minor details.

It'd save me several hours if I can get this to work via ghost.

The machine is a Gateway Profile 5
    ( I use the profile series for my Tellers because they take up so little space)
    XP Pro SP1 + All available critical updates and most recommened update.

The primary HD that Ghost can't see is a Maxtor 40GB Ultra ATA100 5400rpm hard drive

To see more specs about the system, check out: This link

The drive that it can see is a Maxtor 80 GB One touch backup external.

I'm booting to ghost with the first boot option it gives you. CDRW/USB/LPT
    Neither of the other boot disks can see the internal HD either.

Looks like the HD drivers aren't being loaded?
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Hey Hey,

I ran a quick search on google and found this.
    Source: http://ghost.radified.com/ghost_caveat.htm
    Even though Ghost 2003 supports both NTFS and external USB drives, it cannot do so at the same time. The DOS driver that finds and mounts the external drive cannot read NTFS, even though once you get into Ghost, you *can* see NTFS drives. Therefore, if you plan to create Ghost images that involve external USB hard drives, they should be formatted as FAT32.
    I realize this is Ghost 2003, but I doubt 2002 has more functionality...

Have you considered doing a network backup and dumping the image to the ghost server? You won't have the USB support so you should have no problem finding the hard drive. I've never had a problem with NTFS and dumping a ghost image.

Peace,
    HT

If I try to boot with the ghost boot disks without the USB drive (which is formatted as fat32) then it only sees the 3 1/2 floppy. It sees no local disk.

If I boot with the USB drive, it will see both the USB drive and the 3 1/2 floppy.

I can't get it to read the internal HD at all.

I've checked live update and there are no updates for Ghost 2002.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Hey Hey,

I know for networking issues it'll make a difference, I wonder if it will for HDD issues.... Are you using PC DOS that comes with it? Make an MS DOS bootdisk and make your ghost boot disk using MS DOS... It may make a difference..

I can't say it's anything I've ever seen before.... not with USB unplugged anyways...

Is the HDD running through a controller card of some sort (promise card or alternative?)... It's possible you may have to modify the bootdisk to include the controller card drivers so that DOS will recognize it.

Peace,
    HT

[Edit]
    A couple of links for ya

Ghost cannot see drive or partition
    Switches - Drive Detection

[/Edit]

Yes, I was using PCDOS that came with it.

Let me try that MSDOS version.

Thanks for the suggestion, the links and your help.

AO French Antique News Whore
    Norton 2004, I'm able to ghost from a machine to a USB hard drive paintless!

You can still use network boot disk to boot ghost from network shared.
    -Simon \"SDK\"

i used to be in charge of ghost at work - we used ghost corporate 8 and it could never write to NTFS, but it could pull and push NTFS images. furthermore version 8 could support USB drives...

2002 could not use USB drives (it was very picky about brands) very well,
    2003 had more usb support, but still occassionally had problems with NTFS drives
    2004 supposedly does both very well.

if you want to, PM me and i might be able to help you more (i have some tools that i can send you)
    [gloworange]find / -name \"*your_base*\" -exec chown us:us {} \\;[/gloworange] [glowpurple]Trust No One[/glowpurple][shadow] Use Hardened Gentoo [/shadow]
    CATAPULTAM HABEO. NISI PECUNIAM OMNEM MIHI DABIS, AD CAPUT TUUM SAXUM IMMANE MITTAM