Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: aim direct connect and fileshare dont work with router

aim direct connect and fileshare dont work with router

right now im using trillian and i am unable to share files or directly connect to other ppl. i've tried forwarding port 5190, 4117, 4900 and various other ports that i've read were associated with aim and trillian file sharing on google, to my internal ip, but i still cant do it. i have a friend who is also using a router and he can direct connect and file share with other people without forwarding any ports. can anybody tell me how to setup trillian and my router so that i can fileshare and stuff?

Are you using a firewall even though you are behind the router? if so that is most likely the reason why the file transfers are not going through.

I woulda suggested that as well, however I have another one. Is the person you are trying to direct connect with have a firewall? That could be it as well.
    Space For Rent.. =]

i do have a software firewall running, ill disable it and try again

Ok let us know if it works or not.

i downloaded the original aim client and everything works fine with port 5190 forwarded to my comp. dunno why it wont work with trillian... probably its a different port, but im having a hard time finding out which ports.

Regal Making Handler
    Have you set up port forwarding correctly at your router?

Mine for instance requires two inputes to it's set up.
    1/ Create custom service.
    2/Create firewall Rule.

And make sure it forwards to the correct lan ip addy. this can change if your router is acting as a Dhcp server.

Edit
    Default port for Trillian 1863
    Edit
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry

AIM has been doin major upgrades lately i think, i have an older client i keep using cuz of loggin capabilities and some winamp features i can have, and ever since they've came out with they're latest client i always get a popup sayin i wont be able to connect soon unless i update, which ive been fine connecting for like the last month. i havent been able to connect wtih hardly anyone at all though to send pictures or files, so im guessin that could be a reason. i think they're tryin to get everyone using the latest version. i think maybe the latest version out and any other version cant connect to each other.

Hoopy Frood

Re: aim direct connect and fileshare dont work with router

Originally posted here by Phonedog911
    right now im using trillian and i am unable to share files or directly connect to other ppl.
    To the best of my knowledge this is just caused by Trillian. Even when I was running Trillian with no firewall I had the file share be extremely finicky. It rarely worked. I hardly use it anyways, so when I do I just jump on AIM. Just my $.02.

Regards,
    James
    "Personality is only ripe when a man has made the truth his own."

-- Søren Kierkegaard

A little advice: Trillian = The Window's of Instant Message Application's. It is usually filled with bug's and whatnot which is the cause of constant update's and patches, etc. Point I'm trying to make is that it's safer and smarter to just have AIM or MSN or whichever you choose (or as many as you want). Trillian may seem like the more efficient way to go about it, but the long-term risk's and hassles/problem's with it aren't worth it. Just my two for a dollar.
    Space For Rent.. =]