Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Enabling activex

Enabling activex

Hello I have a win nt 2003 server on a network. My problem is each time I visit a site, it says that "your security settings prohibit from running activex". My question is, How can I enable activex to run?

Regal Making Handler
    In Internet Explorer.
    Click Tools>>Internet options>>Security>>Custom Level. Make the changes you want.

Not advisable to enable activex though. Your browser will get hijacked faster than you can say microsoft. Not to mentune the other security holes within activex.

If the pop up is annoying you just check the box to not show the warning or uncheck i cant remember.
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry

activeX is enabled by default somebody had to turn it off and with good reason. what is it you think your missing...really cool ads? pdf files or word docs can be downloaded and viewed locally.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

Actually, Windows server 2003 ships with more secure defaults, including "safe" settings for internet explorer. For example, activex are disabled, only trusted sites are allowed, etc.

This is actually perhaps the best thing they could have done with IE to "secure" it in the default install (besides shipping with FireFox as default browser

Ammo
    Credit travels up, blame travels down -- The Boss

Jinxy is correct in how you must change your security settings.

activeX is enabled by default somebody had to turn it off and with good reason. what is it you think your missing...really cool ads?
    Actually Tedob1 as Ammo said with the new Windows 2003 server they added a "security feature" and just changed the default "normal" security level to "high." This is a quick enough change to get it back to normal but can be a pain in the butt when trying to view the web.

- MilitantEidolon
    Yeah thats right........I said It!

Ultimately everyone will have their own opinion--this is mine.

Just Another Geek
    M5Koy: Why are you surfing the Internet on a server? Don't you have a workstation?
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

ok guys i stand corrected. but IMO activex should be disabled in any level.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

activeX is enabled by default somebody had to turn it off and with good reason. what is it you think your missing...really cool ads? pdf files or word docs can be downloaded and viewed locally.
    I can't upload html files on a certain webhosting sites.

M5Koy: Why are you surfing the Internet on a server? Don't you have a workstation?
    I do have some workstations but I usually do the browsing at my server.

you should be able to enable activeX only for a certain domain.. (the webhosting site)

that would make it atleast less unsafe..

I'd seriously recommend you not to browse on your server !!
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !

I usually do the browsing at my server.
    I would not do this it seems to be a very bad deal and opens you up for more risk.

I can't upload html files on a certain webhosting sites.
    +

I am not sure what you mean. What type of program are you using to upload files? Is your server acting as a webserver?

- MilitantEidolon
    Yeah thats right........I said It!

Ultimately everyone will have their own opinion--this is mine.