Thread: +++ATH0 bug

Question +++ATH0 bug

I'm sure most of you are aware of the +++ATH0 bug which causes many dial-up modems to reset. I figured this would be a simple and easy way to practice sending packets via Windows Sockets. I won't post all of the meat here, for the skiddies out there...but what I do have here would be usable by those with some sort of intelligence. This is done in VC++ 6.0 Pro:

Code:
    char sendbuf[32] = "2b2b2b41544830"; //2b2b2b41544830 is HEX for +++ATH0
    send(m_ath0, sendbuf, strlen(sendbuf), 0);
    i was wondering if anyone knows that this would work, if sent to a dialup user. I don't know more than two people on dialup, and none are available any time soon. would it work like this... or only via 'ping'?
    i dont see why this wouldnt work if sent to a particular IP. though I'm unsure if any port needs to be specified is I use Windows Sockets. can i specify any port in the source?

A_T

[/edit]
    I am learning Windows Sockets so as to transmit data via the infrared port on my laptop. MSDN, and everything else says that I need to include a file called "af_irda.h" in my source in order to use IrDA in my program. This file is not on my machine(s), nor on the VC++ Pro CD. Why? And Where can I get it?
    [edit]
    Geek isn't just a four-letter word; it's a six-figure income.

Just Another Geek
    I'm sure most of you are aware of the +++ATH0 bug which causes many dial-up modems to reset.
    Ehhm. What do you mean reset? If you send this to your modem across the (virtual) serial interface you're telling the modem to hangup. No way is this going to work if you send it using TCP/IP. Where will you send it to? You'll need at least 1 port listening.... And that port has to somehow be connected to the modem.
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

There are currently other programs out there that do similar things. The most popular is called "Ath0izer", you simply enter the IP address, and the amount of times to send the packet, and away it goes. There is no listening port, unless that is the root of the vulnerability, I do not know. But there is no trojan or any software on the target's PC, just a dial-up internet connection.

A_T

i know of this problem in the hardware of old modems.

to the best of my knowledge, it doesn't work on anything new.

and you can also set the source port if you are using winsock. check out the tutorial on http://www.cpp-home.com
    Hmm...theres something a little peculiar here. Oh i see what it is! the sentence is talking about itself! do you see that? what do you mean? sentences can\'t talk! No, but they REFER to things, and this one refers directly-unambigeously-unmistakably-to the very sentence which it is!

Hmm I can't remember who it was that said [on #lobby] that the bug still works on most modems [although I too knew that it's only an issue with the older stuff].

Too bad I'm not sure who it was...
    /\\

Just Another Geek
    The modem may pick it up if it listens to the datastream. The +++ should make the modem switch from data to command mode. But I always though it only worked on the serial interface. Maybe some winmodems are effected? These don't really have a serial interface only a virtual one. I can imagine things can get screwed up if this virtual interface isn't written properly?
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

this is so well known i would be surprised to learn that it worked on any modems created in this millenium.

you will hear people say

``this still works on most modems''

or to put it another way

``this still works on x% of modems in use''

meaning that alot of modems in use may be old.
    Hmm...theres something a little peculiar here. Oh i see what it is! the sentence is talking about itself! do you see that? what do you mean? sentences can\'t talk! No, but they REFER to things, and this one refers directly-unambigeously-unmistakably-to the very sentence which it is!

okay. thanks for your input, but what im trying to get at is a review of my code. if this is sent to an old modem, would it work? i know it would with the ping command, but im not sure about this one.