Thread: Prevx Home (Beta) is currently available for Windows XP and Windows 2000.

Prevx Home (Beta) is currently available for Windows XP and Windows 2000.

Prevx is releasing a home version of its intrusion prevention software the beta version is free for home users.

They advertise it as

An essential complement to existing signature based Anti Virus and Personal Firewall products, the Host Intrusion Prevention capabilities of Prevx Home are the only realistic defense against the latest breed of fast moving attacks.
    Ive downloaded it and it seems quite good.
    [pong][gloworange]665[/gloworange] Next door to the [glowpurple]devil[/glowpurple][/pong]

You should provide the link :P https://www.prevx.com/homeoffice/hom...medownload.htm
    I will check it out soon...

Ooops what was i thinking he he he
    [pong][gloworange]665[/gloworange] Next door to the [glowpurple]devil[/glowpurple][/pong]

I have tried it on my Windows XP laptop and I have no problem with it. It offers most protections that you can't find in other application. A must-have! but you have to turn it off when updating system components or it will keep displaying a pop up to ask you whether to deny or allow the action...

Ive had no problems with it at all very nice piece of software.

Highly recommended

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    I've been using it since it was posted here but have only been using it in "real world/time" to see how it performs, (I haven't deliberately done things to see how it reacts).

Now I am a big fan of WinPatrol for my users home computers with the rule that whenever it pops up "just say NO" unless you are upgrading or installing a program.

I have to admit to liking Prevx insofar as it is fast. It recognizes the change as it is taking place, which is nice. OTOH, I get the feeling it is aimed a _little_ more at people that "have a clue", but I might be overstating that, (the jury is still out).

I prefer WinPatrol's ability to show me what's running etc. and to be able to disable/remove stuff I don't like - but then again one could state that this feature is more for the advanced.

One thing I'm not sure about Prevx, and something they "hawk" is the buffer overflow protection that isn't signature based. Anyone tested this yet?
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Did anyone who downloaded the Prevx software find it interesting that when you went to fill out the registration portion that your country and OS were prefilled in for you?
    There wasn\'t any paper used here, but millions of electrons were terribly inconvenienced

I've been running privx since the last post about it, mabey a week or two. So far I'm unimpressed with it because up until now the only thing it's cought has been me. Apparntly I am some evil peice of malware spyware then needs 15 to 20 warnings on the screen when adjusting screen resolution or when installing drivers. It is possible because of my previous security settings that nothing is making it far enough to set the program off or my surfing habits do no cause the unknown download of programs that would make it complain. But i will give it this much. When it does go of, (at least when i saw it) there is no way it couldn't get your attention. It reminded me of that java game, closing as many pop windows you can in a minute. I suprised it didn't send me an email telling me what a bad user i am and what a horrible person i must be.