Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is wrong w/ my forums?

What is wrong w/ my forums?

I am sorry for the advertisement, but my site is down. I have a feeling that the guy (Chips) that host the database may be behind it. I hope I am wrong. Can someone please take a look?

www.WestTexasForums.com -Slightly NWS on front page. It's a faded girl.

If it is back up by the time you see, there error was:

Warning: mysql_connect(): Access denied for user: 'chips_chips@XXX.XXX.149.XXX' (Using password: YES) in X:\I\ChangedThePath\westtexasforums.com\XXX\forum\XXX\XXX\XXX\mySQL.php on line 65

Warning: mysql_select_db(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL-Link resource in X:\I\ChangedThePath\westtexasforums.com\XXX\forum\XXX\XXX\XXX\mySQL.php on line 68
    ERROR: Cannot find database chips_wtf
    Warning: mysql_query(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL-Link resource in X:\I\ChangedThePath\westtexasforums.com\XXX\forum\XXX\XXX\XXX\mySQL.php on line 101

There appears to be an error with the WestTexasForums database.
    You can try to refresh the page by clicking here, if this does not fix the error, you can contact the board administrator by clicking here

Error Returned
    mySQL query error: SELECT moderator.mid as is_mod, moderator.allow_warn, m.id, m.name, m.mgroup, m.password, m.email, m.restrict_post, m.view_sigs, m.view_avs, m.view_pop, m.view_img, m.auto_track,
    m.mod_posts, m.language, m.skin, m.new_msg, m.show_popup, m.msg_total, m.time_offset, m.posts, m.joined, m.last_post,
    m.last_visit, m.last_activity, m.dst_in_use, m.view_prefs, m.org_perm_id, m.temp_ban, g.*
    FROM ibf_members m
    LEFT JOIN ibf_groups g ON (g.g_id=m.mgroup)
    LEFT JOIN ibf_moderators moderator ON (moderator.member_id=m.id OR moderator.group_id=m.mgroup )
    WHERE m.id=39

mySQL error: Access denied for user: 'chips_chips@XXX.XXX.149.XXX' (Using password: YES)
    mySQL error code:
    Date: Tuesday 13th of July 2004 11:32:12 AM

EDIT: I replaced info that may need to be kept private with X`s. This is not going to help very much because all you have to do is go to the site to see the error in it's full unedited version.

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Looks like either a password has been changed for the chips_chips user with access to the chips_wtf database or the user settings in MySQL have been changed.

Warning: mysql_connect(): Access denied for user:
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Way to give out the username, and what was the password, and your IP. (strong password BTW) I'm guessing by your lack of basic safe computing practices, the owner of the database decided you are not worthy of using his system.

If you click his link you would see the error is displayed on the site giving both his user name and pass to anyone clicking it. Regardless as to whether his password is a 'good' one or not, there is a problem with his site. You should contact the person running the database as he/she will be the most help to you.

What pass?

Access denied for user: 'chips_chips@208.170.149.185'
    This ip is the address that resolves the forum DNS address. You could easily use 127.0.0.1 if you want. A DNS resolution via Network Solutions got me the same address.

(Using password: YES)
    This is NOT the password. Just indicates that a password is being used. That is, the script that tried to connect was using a password but "YES" is not the pass.

That said, there is too much path information being given out. I still say it's time to contact whoever hosts the database as it looks like it's missing.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head

Originally posted here by SexyBadGirl
    Way to give out the username, and what was the password, and your IP. (strong password BTW) I'm guessing by your lack of basic safe computing practices, the owner of the database decided you are not worthy of using his system.

Anyone who tries to get to the site while it is down, will see this. It's do not think there is anything to worry about. If it anythig were of value and a security risk, I would have put Xs in place. Should I mask anything out, guys? I guess I might as well start with the IP.

I am a newb!

Should I mask anything out, guys? I guess I might as well start with the IP.
    The path information would be good. The scripts that generate this error really shouldn't have this in as it indicates how the website is laid out and gives drive information (and basically server info). Masking the IP is ok but if someone hits the link they will see it. You do need to talk to the admin that hosts the DB however. Something has definately been changed (re: Password)

Thank you very much, MsMittens and everyone else.

You also might want to disable displaying errors in the php.ini , that's the standard for production sites. This way, there won't be errors that are too informative for people who don't need to know.

You might want to check the username/password in your config file. If your webhost gives you problems, check out www.webhostfreaks.com

--PuRe www.pureehosting.com
    Like this post? Visit PuRe\'s Information Technology Community. We\'ve also got some kick ass Technology Forums. Shop for books and dvds on LiveWebShop.com