Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: GPO's and Security Policies

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    The way you have described you problems in the past leads me to believe that your base problem is a DNS issue. IIRC you noticed last time that there was a discrepancy between the IP address issued to a machine and it's registration in the DNS system. You noted that fixing the DNS record fixed the issue. That makes me believe that some of your machines are either unable to dynamically update thier own DNS record or that the server isn't accepting dynamic updates to the DNS records. It seems to me that this issue may be related and it's something you need to investigate.

It's not an easy issue to troubleshoot but since it appears to be the root of the problem from where I sit it's definitely an alley I would "wander down"
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Ok, got an update:

I'm convinced that, as Tig said, it's a DNS issue at the heart of the matter. Looks like there's a problem with File Replication Service, as I'm getting Event ID 13568 from NtFrs on the domain controller (one of the three DCs anyway).

To test out FRS, I saved a text file to the shared folder for the domain in the SYSVOL directory, then took off to lunch. Just came back, and it hasn't replicated to the other DCs yet.

So, how do you go about fixing replication issues?

//Edit -- I'm also reading something about accssing the Dfs snap in to enable or disable FRS. However, I see no such animal in Control Panel --> Administrative Tools. How do you get into Dfs Admin?

//Edit -- Found something else wierd. One of our main terminal servers is set to 192.168.1.93, which has to remain that way so others know what IP to connect to remotely. For some reason, however, DHCP from the DC has changed it to 192.168.1.26. How can that be?

//Edit -- Found something else wierd. One of our main terminal servers is set to 192.168.1.93, which has to remain that way so others know what IP to connect to remotely. For some reason, however, DHCP from the DC has changed it to 192.168.1.26. How can that be?
    Are you saying that you have your servers setup to get their IP through DHCP? You should never do that. Statically asign your IP addresses for DC's.

I am. That's why it's wierd...