Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need a good book

Hmm...Good point, plus you get various different takes on it, so you get info from multiple viewpoints. The downside is, however, knowing who to go with and which sources are really trustworthy. Of course such is true with any source. With a book, on the other hand, you have one solid comprehensive volume to land in your lap and get buried in. But googling sources has proven very useful for me personally, as I can't afford the books either. Annoying AO members with constant questioning is another good method.

Originally posted here by nihil
    Hi Death_Knight,

Yeah, it is somewhat expensive, but it does come with a CD full of tools and stuff and it does help you towards A+ certification.

I believe that I paid around $48 for mine at current exchange rates, and stuff in the UK is generally far more expensive than the USA.

My problem is I do not know the USA retail market at all. Over here we have things called "book clubs" where you can get a load of stuff really cheap, and you agree to take one book a month for say 12 months. These are usually 50% to 60% of retail standard price. It is all computerised mail order so they have really cut the overheads, and can generate a big turnover so they say what price they buy at.............bit like the supermarket v. corner store scenario?

Now, you probably don't want a book every month, so what you do is get half a dozen pals together and do it that way. Sometimes ther is one that everyone wants, so your order is big enough to get shipping for free.

I don't know if you have anything like that over where you are.

It is a bit like an encyclopedia, so it is not something that you read and throw away.

Cheers

And thank you...................an American product that I can buy in England cheaper than in America.........I think I will go out and get drunk on the savings I made
    in IT i guess reading and reading would be the best bet to kept up with the industry unlike other trades.

Originally posted here by AngelicKnight
    As an alternative, you can learn all the same stuff (or most of it anyway) through the web, all for free (which is much of what I've done since leaving the classroom). Google what you want to learn about, then spend an hour or two following the leads. Rinse, wash, repeat. When you're short on the funds, it's a decent alternative, just time consuming.

So DeathKnight, are you like my evil twin separated at birth or what?
    well i hope i would be as knowledgeable as you do