Thread: Cleaning Up A Fresh Win Install.

Cleaning Up A Fresh Win Install.

I came across this and I hope some of you find it useful. I am one of those people who like to delete EVERYTHING possible on my computer. I want to know every file on there! I get rid of as much stuff as I can. Here is a little help once you have installed Winblows.

What to Throw Away

Intended For
    Windows XP
    Windows 2000
    Windows Me
    Windows 98
    Windows 95

When you install (or upgrade to) a new version of Windows, there are many files placed in your root and Windows directories that can be deleted. These include:

In your root directory:

* Anything with the extensions *.TXT, *.PRV, *.LOG, *.OLD, and *.- - -.
    * If you don't plan on uninstalling Windows, you can delete WIN95UNDO.DAT (Windows 98 only).

In your Windows directory:

* Anything with the extensions *.LOG, *.OLD, *.- - -, *.BAK, and *.000, *.001 (and so on...)
    * Any files with the following dates can also be deleted, for they belong to old versions of Windows:
    o 03-10-92 - Windows 3.1
    o 09-30-92 - Windows for Workgroups 3.1
    o 11-01-93 - Windows for Workgroups 3.11
    o 12-31-93 - Windows 3.11

* Do a search (Start Menu -> Find -> Files or Folders) and search for any *.BMP and *.TXT files in the Windows directory. Use QuickView to view them, and delete them if desired.

In your Windows\System directory:

* The entire WIN32S directory under your System directory - this is used only in Windows 3.x to allow certain 32-bit applications to run, but some older applications errantly install it in Windows. If you remove this directory, make sure to remove any references to it in your SYSTEM.INI file, and restart Windows.

In your Temp directory (usually Windows\Temp):

* You should never delete any files from this directory, unless the dates of the files are earlier than the last time you booted up. Your applications use these files to store temporary information, and won't function properly if you try to remove them. Usually, any files in this directory that are more than a day old can be safely removed.

Anywhere on your system:

* Other files that can be deleted include MSCREATE.DIR (an absolutely useless hidden file created by Microsoft installation programs - there may be hundreds of these empty files on your hard disk - see Slack Space.)
    * Any directory named, ~MSSETUP.T - this is a temporary directory created during the installation of a program, and can be freely deleted once the installation is complete.

Uninstallation Files:

* There may be up to 70 megabytes of "uninstallation" information - files kept around if you decide to remove Windows (assuming you've upgraded from Windows 95).
    * The best way to get rid of these files (surprisingly) is to use the Tune-Up Wizard - don't bother with the scheduling of Scandisk and Disk Defragmenter (unless you want to) - it will present you with a list of the useless files you can remove. Hack away!

Files NOT to delete:

* Anything in your SYSBCKUP directory.
    * Your Registry (SYSTEM.DAT, SYSTEM.DA0, USER.DAT, USER.DA0), as well as SYSTEM.1ST, which you can use if the first four become corrupted.
    * Any files in your root directory not mentioned above.

If in doubt:

* If you're not sure if something should be deleted, try moving it to another directory first to see if it makes a difference.
    * Check the file's date - if it's recent, most likely it's still being used.
    * For information on removing a particular application, contact the manufacturer of that application, or refer to the application's documentation.

Written by: Annoyances.org
    Last updated: Sunday, August 12, 2001
    Source: http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/article05-008

Be careful!

I don't recommend following that article, because you'll be in a world of hurt if you do. That article was probably written years ago, when disk space was more costly and not so readily available. Today's computer systems don't have those problems, unless your a super resource hog like myself. If you want to save some space, you don't need to go around deleting everything, just disable some useless stuff, for example hibernation, lower the page file size, disable system restore, lower the amount of space used for temp internet files, also empting out your recycle bin. All of those safe methods are just a few things you can do, without deleting a ton of crap you don't know about.

I'll leave the invoice on the way out.

--PuRe www.pureehosting.com
    Like this post? Visit PuRe\'s Information Technology Community. We\'ve also got some kick ass Technology Forums. Shop for books and dvds on LiveWebShop.com

You have a very good point, PuReExcTacy, but this IS on a fresh install. There would be nothing of real value that would be lost. I would be pretty leary of trying this out on a system that has been in use for some time. If anything does go wrong, just format and try again!

XEN by Paul Brown

http://www.freedownloadscenter.com/U...ities/Xen.html

speaks for itself, enuf said

Connection refused, try again later.

Originally posted here by DISLEX
    You have a very good point, PuReExcTacy, but this IS on a fresh install. There would be nothing of real value that would be lost. I would be pretty leary of trying this out on a system that has been in use for some time. If anything does go wrong, just format and try again!

I see what you mean by it not having value because it's a fresh install, but if you follow any of what was in that guide, your system will be in a world of hurt. For example, deleting all the .txt and .log files, you wouldn't even be able to reboot your system, and I'm willing to put money on it. Know why? Because half of the configuration files are store in txt files, in addition, some systems will not function without logging, deleted logs would pose a problem in that case. Of course this is all your choice to explore, but why waste time re-installing because you wanted to save 50mb on a 60gig disk. Just doesn't make sense to do this type of stuff today. </rant>

--PuRe
    Like this post? Visit PuRe\'s Information Technology Community. We\'ve also got some kick ass Technology Forums. Shop for books and dvds on LiveWebShop.com

I go with Relyt on this one Xen by Paul Brown is an excellent tool that I have been using for some years now. It has the added advantage of being useful after you have been running Windows for some time as well.

I would recommend leaving the fonts alone though, as I have encountered problems with that, in that some apps use weird fonts. It does put them in a restore file though so you can recover them.

It recognises all varieties of Windows and works accordingly.

Cheers

EDIT: OH! and it is free

I would just let it go. I can see playing around with this article on an install that is not critical but as far as the business world. I would just let it alone.

- MilitantEidolon
    Yeah thats right........I said It!

Ultimately everyone will have their own opinion--this is mine.

The artical was written when Win Me was still the flavor.. it's comments mainly apply to Win98..
    With Win9x you had some control over what was installed.. THAT would lead to a "cleaner" install ..
    that is not installing what you didn't need..

You will certainly learn something by following the instructions .. worth while factor ..2/10

Cheers
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr