Thread: dvd trashed?

the beign of authority kurt_der_koenig's Avatar

Unhappy dvd trashed?

I just rented a dvd to watch. When I put it inmy computer all work fine until I had to play around with it. I was exploring the dvd when I accidently clicked send to instead of open with! No problem till I tryed to play the movie. Now it won't even let me plaY the movie! It allows me to play my other movies. I tryed the dvd on a regular stand alone player and it worked. I tryed to solve it by deleting the prefetch and temp files but to no avail! Can somebody help me? Thanx

Regal Making Handler
    Take the dvd out of your drive. Re-boot.
    All should be ok now.
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry

tried that about 5 times now! Thats why I'm here asking people.

Regal Making Handler
    What os?
    What dvd software or player where you using.
    What did you want to open and what did you want to open it with.
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry

Hi Kurt,

I am guessing that you have gotten Windows all confused

Load the DVD
    Click on "send to"
    Take the option to send it to your desk top.....................this will create an icon on your desktop.

I am guessing that that will clear the stalled instruction, or will at least let you launch it from the desktop icon.

Good luck

I have win xp pro. I just wanted to open the seperate movie file instead of watching the movie over. I just like to mess around sometimes. Anyway now it just acts like the dvd is a blank cd!But it allows me to play my other movies!?! I guess the dvd had some security prog on it!?

Kurt,

I have never encountered this sort of thing with a DVD but I have several times with a CD. If Windows has not "finished with it" you get prompts to "load CD serial# xxxxxxxxx" and if you do that, and let it close, you usually clear the record that is causing the problem.

Have you tried my suggestion in the last post? or is it that the PC just won't recognise the DVD at all now?

Get out your drive and CD cleaning kit, and clean the drive at least 3 times, then carefully clean the cd with radial (NOT CIRCULAR) strokes.

I have one or two music CDs that will play on one machine but not another, and cleaning the drive frequently works.............don't ask me why

Let me know how you get on

I don't think that you have damaged the DVD or that it is a security program, it sounds more like an unfinished job marker linked to the DVD serial?

Cheers

prost!
    I think it is more security but I will clean my drive when I get home later.<> thanx nihil<> How can I change the serial???? I didn't get to do what you said in last post because I'm still at school but all is well. I will try it when I get home.

Kurt,

You cannot change the serial number, I am talking about the DVD's ID number, not a security feature. I am pretty sure that you have a record somewhere in the bowels of your machine that might be seeing it as unfinished business................hence my suggestions.

Otherwise if you have any of those system cleaning tools, they might help................I use "ilSystem Wiper", "MRU Blaster" and "Internet Sweeper", they will generally get rid of the "history records" and the corrupted one in the process

Please keep me informed as to how you get on.

I have had this problem with both CDs and floppy disks and there are a variety of possible causes, I guess that we just have to be systematic, and cross them off the list one at a time?

thanx.it finally worked. I guess it had to rest over night.lol
    sorry about my confusion