_RESTORE/evidence eliminator
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: _RESTORE/evidence eliminator

_RESTORE/evidence eliminator

This is a continuation of my earlier _RESTORE post. My _RESTORE folder is increasing in size daily and has already gone up another 300 MB. I have recently been using the program evidence elimator quite frequently and i'm wondering if perhaps it is making backups of the files it deletes and somehow saving them in the _RESTORE directory. Is this a possiblilty or am i way off?

First off there isn't a need to make multiple post's about the same thing. Sorry to sound like a ***** about it, but you should have posted this in the other thread you created. Second, like I've stated to you, it will continue growing. That's what it does, with everything that happen's on your PC and every file change, deletion, etc, it will change. You can if you want delete restore point's and some data you feel you don't need. However, this isn't recommended because you MIGHT at a certain time want to refer back to a different period.
    Space For Rent.. =]

If I was concerned about what content might be found on my computer, the 1st thing I would turn off is the restore function.

Otherwise you are just creating a library of evidence not eliminated...??

Spyder32 is quite correct, in WindowsME it just keeps growing, as it creates a new recovery point each time you boot up.

I would not have thought that Evidence Eliminator would have any influence on it, but I must admit that I do not know that product. Assuming that it is just like most other housekeeping tools, it will only be cleaning temporary files, MRUs and the like which system restore would not restore anyway.

It may have a restore function within itself though, so you need to look at its settings to see if it has been set to make backups. The file will most probably be in its own folder.

BANNED
    This is just a question. I don't know if it will help or not because I keep restore off. But, if you turn it off it deletes the restore points right. When you turn it back on does it run through your whole system and make new restore points for everything and would it cut out the garbage if you turn it off then turn it back on. Or is it garbage when it saves all the deletions and stuff?
    When death sleeps it dreams of you...

how do i turn off the restore function

Originally posted here by shadowkingjesse
    how do i turn off the restore function
    For Windows XP: Right Click on 'My Computer' and click on 'Properties'
    Click on the 'System Restore' Tab
    Place a check in the box next to "Turn off System Restore on all Drives"

For Windows ME: Right Click on 'My Computer' and click on 'Properties'
    Click on the 'Performance' Tab and Click the 'File System' Button
    In the box that pops-up titled "File System Properties" click the
    'Troubleshooting' tab. Place a check in the box next to "Disable
    System Restore"

I've known and used Evidence Eliminator. It is a good and thorough product although the System Restore feature is seperate and logs all system activity.

As Spyder32 said
    it will continue growing. That's what it does, with everything that happen's on your PC and every file change, deletion, etc, it will change.
    So, if your concerned about your privacy, DISABLE IT.

NOTE: There is also a problem with virus' infecting the plethora of system files stored in the _Restore directory on Windows ME/XP Machines. Since the system files are inside of archives, many antivirus scanners cannot remove the infected system files without deleting the entire archive file. Which corrupts your restore point. Another reason to DISABLE IT.
    ][ neta1o ][

neta1o. I went to do what you instructed but when i came to the troubleshooting tab and went to click the disable system resore box i found it already checked
    what should i do know because all i really want to do is get rid of the _RESTORE folder safely and quickly

Regal Making Handler
    Nihil,
    I have not used evedence eliminator since i had 98. It is supposed to cover all your online tracks, temp internet files/cookies/dat files/regestry entries/Last accessed/typed url's/swap file/free space, etc. I'm not sure how it fares up against something like Encase but it did stop my hdd from filling up. It always seemed to fill up no matter how much i deleted manualy.
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry

It always seemed to fill up no matter how much i deleted manualy.
    jinxy: That's why you disable it. Because (like previously stated) it create's new data and a new restore point at bootup.
    Space For Rent.. =]