Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: _RESTORE/evidence eliminator

Regal Making Handler
    I nas talking about win 98 spyder, not xp/me. No System restore on 98, lol
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry

Ohh right, si. I wasn't reading your post carefully enough to see you put Win98 in it.
    Space For Rent.. =]

I agree jinxy,

I use a couple of tools to keep the garbage build up under control

http://www.freedownloadscenter.com/U...ities/Xen.html

That is XEN by Paul Brown..............a nice tool that I have used for some time...............lots more functionality than most of the "tracks hiding" software.

I would warn against the fonts removal option though, particularly on a mature system which you have loaded all sorts of apps onto.

Still worth a look though.

Shadowkingjesse

I would not get rid of the folder, just its contents.

Also empty your recycle bin using Windows, boot into safe mode and run scandisk (auto repair checked) and the defrag.

Then check the size of the _restore folder.

Originally posted here by shadowkingjesse
    neta1o. I went to do what you instructed but when i came to the troubleshooting tab and went to click the disable system resore box i found it already checked
    what should i do know because all i really want to do is get rid of the _RESTORE folder safely and quickly
    Your response tells me that you have Windows ME and a FAT32 OS. When you disable System Restore there is usually files leftover. The way I get rid of those files is to boot from a dos or 98 bootdisk and go to the root drive C: and 'deltree _restore'

If you don't have a bootdisk, you can visit
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    and download the files for one.

NOTE: Even after deleting the _restore directory, the next time you boot into Windows ME the folder will be re-created. Although, this time there shouldn't be anything in it, assuming you correctly disabled System Restore.
    ][ neta1o ][

Neta1o

You are quite right, but I was leaving the DOS bit until last

If he gets XEN as I suggested, and runs the "major clean up option", it will give him the option to delete all system restore files. He should then run Winfile and delete the "temp" subfolder in _restore.

That should leave him with an empty folder.

I would still run scandisk then defrag in safe mode, just in case the FAT tables are corrupted?

The reason I say this is that Windows Explorer is reporting a 16 Gb file and his anti spyware software is scanning .cpy files that he cannot detect either in explorer or winfile. That seems a little strange?

I have checked this machine and it has a _restore file on both drives, and both of them are empty. Which is probably a good job as my total HDD space is only slightly over a half of his _Restore folder

Cheers