Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help Me I Think I Have A Virus

Help Me I Think I Have A Virus

hey i think i have a virus but no antivirus software to check.. but a couple things have been acting up.. when i first start up my computer (i'm running windows xp home edition) a bunch of pop up notifications saying that certain programs have i guess messed up appear.. yanno the kinda that say.. 'notify' or 'dont notify' kinda thing.. and also.. my internet explorer always says it has a problem.. im using AOL ryte now so thats how im posting this.. but if anyone has any information of any like free virus scanning type of things out there that can possibly detect anything wrong with my computer can u please send me a link so i can download it or something.. thanks..

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    http://housecall.trendmicro.com

It's a free online product. You can use either Netscape or Internet Explorer to run it.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

thanks for the quick reply.. i just used it and there was a buncha stuff it found.. does anyone else know of anything to check over my computer?

McAfee Stinger is a really good antivirus program which is free.

Look it up in Google, and download it.

J_K9

thanks J_k9

i think my computer is doing better all thanks to that little check up.. it said it deleted a trojan and there were about 419 infected files or some such with some kinda virus.. well thanks for the help for those sites.. oh yeah.. what's a trojan?

A Trojan horse is a malicious, security-breaking program that is disguised as something benign. For example, you download what appears to be a movie or music file, but when you click on it, you unleash a dangerous program that erases your disk, sends your credit card numbers and passwords to a stranger, or lets some stranger hijack your computer to commit denial of service attacks.

J_K9

Hey, you can protect yourself in the future from Trojan Horses and other harmful things by using Sygate or Keiro firewalls, they are both free...except for keiro where it has a pro version so its a 30day trial, but after 30days you can still use the firewall...the pro version only include things such as ad blockers....no biggie....here search for those 2 at www.download.com i personally think that keiro well...i hope saying that can help prevent harmful things messing up your computer in the future

Here's a link for an anti-trojan. AVs catch alot but by no means do they catch them all. So download, update and run the A2 (A squared) anti-trojan. You can download it free at http://www.emsisoft.com/en/software/free/ . Let it fix whatever it wants to.

Here's a link for another one. Download the trial version of Moosoft's "The Cleaner" and run it: http://www.moosoft.com/products/cleaner/download/

EDIT: Get yourself an antivirus as well. AVG is simple and free: http://free.grisoft.com/freeweb.php

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    does anyone else know of anything to check over my computer?
    You may want to go, download and run HiJacktThis! and CWShredder to see what spyware might also be infecting your machine (spyware can affect the stability of IE).
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Just Another Geek
    Welcome to AO

I recommend running a couple of programs to protect yourself (and others).

1) Personal Firewall (or atleast the build-in firewall of XP)
    2) Virusscanner (you just cannot do without one)
    3) spyware/adware scanner/remover (keeps your browser clean)

Look around this site for pointers to good programs.
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.