T1 Wireless?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: T1 Wireless?

T1 Wireless?

I am wondering if it is possible to get wireless T1 for my laptop? And if needed what hardware would i need to purchase?

yes I assume so, T1 is 1.5mb/s or something like that and you can get wifi cards that communicate at 54mb/s it depends on what your connecting to. There are ISP's that offer wifi internet access but i assume its for limited areas only

i2c

all you need is the T1 to go from modem to a wireless router and the wifi card to communicate with that router.

I'm not quite sure why you'd want that... seems like an aweful waste of $$, but then again I don't know what you are going to use it for. If its for a residential... might I suggest Cable or ADSL.

You can get speeds of 1.5mbps (downstream) in both ADSL and Cable.

Some cable providers advertise speeds of up to 3mbps. (though, I'm not sure if you'd actually get it because you share your connection with everyone on your segment)

ADSL should run you about $40-50/month for 1.5mbps.

I have a 768KBps ADSL line and I pay about $20/month for that. (Verizon Residential ADSL)

I've only seen cable for about $50/month. (Comcast)

If you need your connection to be symmetric (speeds the same in both directions (upstream and downstream), then you'll have to go to a business connection. I've never seen a symmetric connection in the residential packages.

I think a 1.5mbps SDSL connection would run you about $300/month?
    The 1.5mbps T1 is going to cost you about $600/month?

For practically the same speeds... I'd rather have the $300/month.

i2c and Cybr1d are correct. You just have to hook up an wireless access point. If you already have a router and don't want to replace yours, then get a wireless access point. If you don't already have a router, then you can get your access point and router built together.

Again, I'm not sure what you're going to use it for. If its just going to be for home use, you can use a linksys, or netgear router/wap.

You'll need a wireless card for the laptop too. If you plan on using sniffers and other such security tools... then research your card carefully. Look at the apps you're going to be using and the cards that are supported. Look for somethintg in the orinoco or prismII chipsets. They seem to be the most widely supported?
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Originally posted here by phishphreek80

I think a 1.5mbps SDSL connection would run you about $300/month?
    The 1.5mbps T1 is going to cost you about $600/month?

Dont forget a point to point (not frame relay) T1 will run ~ $600 for the circuit AND
    another several hundred for the Internet access on that T1 depending on which ISP you choose.
    In Colorado USA anyway.
    Also keep in mind that you also need hardware that can terminate it.

jr05linux:

A T1 is a very specific in it's definition and really has nothing to do with Wireless.

With a 1.54 mega(bit) top end, its speed is not really it's value anymore.
    A main diff between it and cheaper home type broadband choices is in it's SLA.
    Down time is a nono for business class usage where if comcast wants to turn off my home service with a few hours without notice, they reserve that right.

jr05linux if you do decide to go with the wireless option. Make sure you secure the router or you are going to have your neighbors or wardrivers using your bandwidth for surfing the web or doing other things that could cost you your internet connection.
    Links to tutorials that will help you lock your AP Down and secure it

http://www.antionline.com/showthread...hreadid=249393 written by me
    http://www.antionline.com/showthread...hreadid=245853 written by sickyourit
    http://www.antionline.com/showthread...hreadid=259394 written by kezzel

phishphreek80
    Yah actually it cost 499 for 2 yrs is the best deal i have seen and yah does any 1 no the price range wor the wifi card and ecverything else i would need TY?

AO's MMA Fanatic! Computernerd22's Avatar
    I am wondering if it is possible to get wireless T1 for my laptop? And if needed what hardware would i need to purchase
    I hope this is business and not residential. Heres why as stated by other members T1 = $$$$ for example the business I work for we have a dedicated T1 line. Now what it costs is around 1500.00 a month. (No thats not a typo) That is extremely fast but very expensive! If this is for home use I would recommend broadband not T1. Unless you got money like that then by all means spend away. Hope this helps Computernerd22

You are out of range for normal land based broad band? As stated there are many wireless broadband solutions available throug ISPs. Or or you just trying to make a point to point connection over a small distance?
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

Originally posted here by jr05linux
    does any 1 no the price range wor the wifi card and ecverything else i would need TY?
    Not really, because we're not sure what you're using it for.

If you just want a price on the WAP/Router then it is between $50-500 depending on what you want to get out of it. If you are just going to use it for home... then look more towards the $50-100 range.

The card is going to vary too... $50-100?

We really do need more info about exactly what you plan on using it for.
    Residential? Business? What services? Why a T1 and not other broadband services?
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.