Windows 98 Virus

Thread: Windows 98 Virus

The Prancing Pirate

Windows 98 Virus

My friend has just got a virus on her Windows 98 PC in an office. There is no internet connection on her computer, but she does use floppy discs a lot with other people who computers are connected to the internet. Only files (such as Word and Excel documents) are on the floppy discs.

Please can you tell me what she can do?

J_K9

get a virus scanner, boot in safe mode and scan for viruses, id imagine its quite an old virus so most virus scanners will pick it up, however you have no way of updating the pattern files if she isnt connected to the internet, you could put them onto disk and take them to her.

why do you think she has got a virus? what are the symptoms?

i2c

Install a virus scanner on her PC so she can scan the floppy disks she wants to use before using them .. also the virus scanner will get rid of the virus ..... ....... you can download this on one of the computers that is connected to the internet then burn it to cd. .. then install it on her machine and that it is current with updates ..

The Prancing Pirate
    Basically, it doesn't actually affect her directly, but when she puts her work on a floppy disc and gives it to one of her colleages to put in his computer a notice comes up saying that the floppy is infected with a virus.

I am installing McAfee Stinger. Do you think that it is a good antivirus/ will recognise a Win 98 virus?

J_K9

Hi,

Stinger will only detect selected viruses so it may not work...........the viruses are very recent ones.

What virus is being reported?

Is she connected to a local network.............if so the virus could have arrived via that route.

Do they have an IT person/department.............you need to tell them as all the network/PCs need to be checked.................it IS IN THERE and will remain until it is killed.

Who is responsible at the office?............if they let people "do their own thing" they really deserve all that they get...........it it totally irresponsible.

just my thoughts

Stinger is designed as a standalone virus remover .. targeting a very small range of virii.. about 43 in the last version.. It is not a full Antivirus solution.

Your friend probably has a Macro Virus.. so Stinger is next to useless.. and probably has had it for a while.. Surly the virus scanner that identified the virus would have also named the Thing? wouldn't it? so what is it Called.. ....[jk] I have long since stopped calling Win98 a Virus.. Win ME is the worst of that family of Viruses[/jk]
    Get a hold of AVG.. it is free.. generaly effective ..give it a run

So find out what is being detected.. that will make your life easier.. then
    follow the previous advice and install a FULL Av prog and scan.. and yes a scan in safemode first.. then another in normal mode AFTER updateing the virus defs (**** dunno how with a sneaker net connection)

Cheers

BTW: Floppy Drive?? whats that? a problem that is not mentioned in public?

edit: Must remember to hit send BEFORE leaving the room
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr