View Poll Results: Do you remove ZIP files from emails?

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, we remove ZIP files from emails

3 37.50%
  • No, we dont remove them

5 62.50%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is Norton Anti-Virus Trust worthy?!?!

Regal Making Handler
    This is just a question and maybe an opinion. Given that Norton is lower rated than some, my question is. Do the higher rated solutions detect spyware? If not maybe Norton is trying to be the jack of all trades and master of none.

I will stick with Norton anyway, but i am a regestered Tds3 user. I do prefer horses for courses.
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry

If not maybe Norton is trying to be the jack of all trades and master of none.
    Well you see I see this as a marketing strategy for Norton. You see large corps will then only need to purchase one software package as opposed to go through and purchasing AV a popup blocker a recovery program and so on. Norton knows that it is cheaper and easier to purchase one thing. I am not necessarily saying which one is better because I don't know stats on either of them. I do know that NAV missed alot of viruses and trogans on my computer that kaspersky has found fixed and or deleted.

- MilitantEidolon
    Yeah thats right........I said It!

Ultimately everyone will have their own opinion--this is mine.

Hmm...if this is the case, Symantec seems to be pulling a bad business move. Norton seemed to be the best in the business back in the day.

Remember this is my opinion I am not trying to state this as fact. It just makes sense for Symantec to do it that way.

- MilitantEidolon
    Yeah thats right........I said It!

Ultimately everyone will have their own opinion--this is mine.

hmm...i guess what undertaker said was prolly right...maybe it was LSASS intsead of iSASS, but then....why would it still be crashing? (terminated)?!?!? im still getting the same problems and its pissing me off....and.....norton flashed a virus detection on the last crash i just had...it said something about one called....spybot, but then once i looked it up in the log....it says unknown....!!!!! so i dont know it wont stop crashing, and my AV is up to date!!!!! but my windows isnt...haha i cant do jack about it right now...due to the crashing.......so i really dont know what the hell to do right now.....is there anyway to get rid of this?!?! (reformatting isnt the best choice). thankz.......

Err.............

1. try booting into safe mode, and running your AV from that, and make a note of what it finds.
    2. In Win2K you should have an option to boot into "Safe mode with network support"..........hopefully that will recognise your modem and let you get on the internet to update Windows and your AV. Also try the Trend Micro site and run "Housecall"

http://housecall.trendmicro.com/hous...start_corp.asp

I believe that if you can get there fast enough you can go into <run> and type "shutdown -a" (I think, someone will doubtless correct me if I am wrong) without the commas. This should stop the shutdown process.

Good luck

I use it and it works for me. System works eats a lot of space tho

nihil: u posted the ranking for differnent virus scanners it would be nice if u send the link from where u got those statistics.

Thanks
    Excuse me, is there an airport nearby large enough for a private jet to land?

Sorry mmkhan, I don't have a link as such. It was from a test report in the February 1994 edition of Computer Shopper (a UK Computer magazine).

OK there are those who will say "but that article is six months out of date..............very true, but if your AV scanning engine has not been re-written, then the results will be virtually the same. Differences in pattern files can be detected on a weekly if not daily basis, and have no impact on the ability to detect zero day exploits.

I think that point is emphasised by the fact that the two products that came equal top use the same scanning engine?

Cheers

Originally posted here by nihil
    Sorry mmkhan, I don't have a link as such. It was from a test report in the February 1994 edition of Computer Shopper (a UK Computer magazine).

1994?
    Meu sítio

FORMAT C: Yes ...Yes??? ...Nooooo!!! ^C ^C ^C ^C ^C
    If I die before I sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to encrypt.
    If I die before I wake, I pray the Lord my soul to brake.