Enabling wireless under Linux

Thread: Enabling wireless under Linux

Enabling wireless under Linux

All right I have searched up and down, left and right, and so far I didn't find anything. I have all the info I need [ESSID, AP MAC etc] to connect to an access point... but my laptop would not do so.

Steps I take:

1. pop up a shell
    2. su
    3. ifconfig eth0 up
    4. pump -i eth0

At this point I will wait for a while and.. Operation Failed. I tried entering the AP address with iwconfig but it would return an error saying this is not a supported operation.

Hmm I am not sure what other info to give... I'm running Knoppix-STD without any other issues, wireless monitoring works using the orinoco_cs driver... Any help at all would be appreciated. And please ask for more info if there's any needed.

Re: Enabling wireless under Linux

Originally posted here by hypronix
    I'm running Knoppix-STD without any other issues, wireless monitoring works using the orinoco_cs driver... Any help at all would be appreciated. And please ask for more info if there's any needed. [/B]
    I don't have any personal experience with the orinoco driver, but I don't think any driver will let you connect to an ap while in monitor mode. Have you tried changing the mode; i.e.
    Code:
    iwconfig eth0 mode managed

can you do a iwconfig eth0? let us know what is the o/p, also have u compiled the Orinoco drivers before inserting your wireless card, I am sorry if i didn't get the question correctly.

MRG.

I tried getting a lease [IP] with the card in Managed mode, it's true, you can't get an address if you're monitoring the network [AFAIK]. I usually reset the card after I used it in monitor mode just to be sure.

Wireless card has been in the laptop since I bought it. The drivers were compiled [or maybe precompiled, which means I should re-do it myself... hmm] when I installed the OS. I guess I will install the drivers on my own once my free copy of SuSE comes to make sure I get the most out of it. Nonetheless, I was wondering if there's any possibility that I'm doing something wrong. I have to figure this out over the summer since come Sept and University it would be a shame to miss out on the campus-wide wireless access
    /\\