Win XP Installation Problem
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Win XP Installation Problem

Win XP Installation Problem

Ok, I have inherited a problem.

A friends daughter found P2P and music downloads. Also, as might be imagined, a couple of trojans and 3-4 virus.

The virus's were easy, and one trojan came out easily, but the last one was a presistant cuss. Unfortunately, I had to leave before it was completely cleaned, and made the comment (stupid, stupid, stupid) that if was me I would reformate the drive and do a clean install.

About 8:30 pm, I get a call.....from guess who: "My computer is all %*&$#*." I went down stairs and found the poor box stuck in some sort of loop and not going anywhere.

What he had done, I think??? (from observation and questions) Was to install Windows XP over the top of Windows XP, without partitioning or reformating. Not repair mind you but a complete new installation. He only has a 10 gig hard drive ( about 9.5 available), and I think (?) that his hard drive is full.

Right now, you can't boot to anything, including safe mode. It automatically returns to setup and hangs at the same spot. I can't get it to boot from the cd, so I can't even delete the partition and reformate. ( which is what I would do if I could) Cntrl+Alt+Del does not work. Nor does Cntrl+Esc or any other combination of keys I have tried.

After about 3 hours of trying every thing I could think of, I feel like hacking his box, but my wife has hidden the axe, and I don't want to possibly damage any of my swords.

Any one have any nondistructive cures for this little problem.

By the way, it is a
    AMD3 @ 350mhz
    194+ megs of ram
    10 gig HD
    and the original XP was an up grade of Windows 98
    \"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!\"
    Author Unknown

why dont you try booting it up with a win98 boot disk and that will give you an a: prompt, from there you could run fdisk and blow away the partition and create a new one and format them . hope that helps

you obvioulsy have access to other computers other than the one that isn't working so you could make a boot disk

with the bootdisk you need to make sure the floppy is the first in the boot order (before the hdd anyway) but i am sure you knew that

Antionline Herpetologist
    I'd boot off a Knoppix cd, copy whatever I need to another hard disk and fdisk and delete all the partitions. Then reboot with the Windows XP CD, create partitions and install.

Cheers,
    cgkanchi

EDIT: The reason I said Knoppix rather than a Win9x/DOS boot disk is because of NTFS read support. If you don't need NTFS (i.e. your friend's partition is FAT32) support and are more comfortable with DOS than Linux, a DOS boot disk might be a good choice.
    Buy the Snakes of India book, support research and education (sorry the website has been discontinued)
    My blog: http://biology000.blogspot.com

Hummmmm....I do believe I have a 98 disk in my files, and that might be the way to go. At least it should get me out of the bloody loop its in, even if I end up with a FAT32 partition.

cgkanchi, I thought of a Knoppix cd, but it won't boot to the cd remember. If it would do that, I could set it up from the Windows Installation disk.

But is there a way from the 98 floppy to get a cd to run? Its been a long time since I have played with one.

And what is the specific dos command thast is used? fdisk c/ or what?
    \"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!\"
    Author Unknown

When the dos prompt comes up from using the win 98 boot disk select the option to setup windows with out cdrom support and then type fdisk at the command prompt and then select option 3 if I rember correctly this will ask you if you want to delete all non dos partitions on the hard drive

Thanks DeadAddict, but I found some thing that might be better.

At http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm they have boot disks for specific applications. The one I picked was for Windows XP Home SP1 and breaks down to six floppies. It is also suppose to allow you to set up the cd to work also.

In a couple of hours (when ever they get up) I will try them out and see if they work.
    Author Unknown

to get the 98 bootdisk to run a cd you just boot up with the 98 bootdisk then once you are at your a: you navigate to your cdrom .. for example: a:\ d:
    then d: will be your cdrom ...

you have to boot up with cdrom support tho which is one of the options on the 98 bootdisk

Regal Making Handler
    Can you not get into setup. disable the c drive, boot from cd rom only and use the recovery console. If you can you should be able to repair windows and make some room.
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry

I would say use a Win98 boot disk or full OS disk and you can cancel install type fdisk delete all partitions and then format C: and that is about the simplest way i no .

Well, the six XP setup disks worked fantastic. Ended the loop I was in and put me right at the point I wanted to be.

I deleted the partition and reformated (NTFS) and went right into XP setup. The installation went like a dream and all the critical updates were done. A good firewall and virus checkers was placed on the machine, and the 3 driver updates were completed.

Then, I decided to take a break, and came home for a couple of hours. The daughter finding a empty computer tried to fill it up with some music again.

I told my friend, I would show him how to do a complete reformate and reinstallation after dinner tonight. But that I would not do it for him again. And that either he bans his daughter from the computer, or micro supervises her when she is on it, because he loses his free tech support if I find any more of what she down loaded on it again.

only 7 trojans (2 of them sub7) and 18 virus with an unknown amount of hijacks and spyware. And that was just with the EzArmore AV that I had put on his machine. I don't even want to think of what I would have found if I ran Housecall again.

Note; she also downloaded 3 warez games (which is where most of the trojans came from, I assume)

jinxy, the reason I could not use setup, was I couldn't get into it. The machine was stuck in an installation loop and would return to the same point even if you booted into safe mode, which I tried.
    Author Unknown