Thread: Need help in Apache Perl-CGI set up and config

Unhappy Need help in Apache Perl-CGI set up and config

hello I'm a newbie in perl-cgi. Recently, I configured my apache configuration's scriptalias
    to c:/website/cgi-bin I also happened to have an activestate perl interpreter on my computer.
    my question is, why is it that when I run file:///C:/website/cgi-bin/access.pl in my web browser
    it does'nt display the contents in html? Instead it runs the perl interpreter in dos mode?
    Is there something wrong with my configuration? Help please
    BTW can you guys please help me with the correct set up for cgi and perl to run correctly? Thank you very much

Hey Hey,

A simple search on google would have helped ya here.... I'm sure you'd have found tons..

Anways.. here's a few links for you that have the steps and process to go through.. most of them are apache, perl, php and mysql tho . but skip the steps for products you aren't using.

http://www.lameindustries.org/tutori...s/apache.shtml
    http://www.thesitewizard.com/archive...toapache.shtml
    http://www.visca.com/clueless/perl_apache_win9x.html

Those should do the trick for ya.

Peace,
    HT

Gee Thanks!!! That really helped a lot!

The reason that it doesn't run correctly is because Atleast as far as I have read in my CGI book. CGI scripts are aliased. Meaning that, your scripts are never actually run in front of the person that is using them.

You should be using your scripts through a alias in your html.

It should be something like this. (Forgive me, my HTML skills kind of suck right now.)

<html>
    <title> This is the song that never ends </title>
    <Head> Welcome to my site!!! </title>
    <body>
    <form method = "Post" action="/cgi-bin/form.exe"> Form</form>
    ##That would be what, would get your cgi to run your perl script, whenever this page was run.
    </body>
    </html>

You have got to forgive me if that isn't the best explanation, but I really suck at HTML, I can do the basics, I usually use other languages where my html falls off.

If you need a better explanation, I will show you. I can grab a book real quick for about 2 mins, and then write this a better way.

As for the set up for CGI and perl. HT pretty much covered that, but there is one thing I am going to have to say, if you are running RH, which I doubt, but you are going to have to go to services, and turn on httpd.

Without that on, your server won't run.

Actually I'm using windowsxp. I a bit confused because I configured the webserver in CGI based on the link that htregz posted. But each time a perl or a cgi script the explorer can't seem to find it. As a matter of fact I got this errors on my log:

[Sun Jul 18 23:13:38 2004] [notice] Parent: Created child process 812
    [Sun Jul 18 23:13:38 2004] [notice] Child 812: Child process is running
    [Sun Jul 18 23:13:38 2004] [notice] Child 812: Acquired the start mutex.
    [Sun Jul 18 23:13:38 2004] [notice] Child 812: Starting 250 worker threads.
    [Sun Jul 18 23:13:47 2004] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] script not found or unable to stat: C:/website/cgi-binaccess.pl
    [Sun Jul 18 23:14:03 2004] [notice] Parent: Child process exited successfully.
    [Sun Jul 18 23:53:56 2004] [notice] Parent: Created child process 2296
    [Sun Jul 18 23:53:56 2004] [notice] Child 2296: Child process is running
    [Sun Jul 18 23:53:56 2004] [notice] Child 2296: Acquired the start mutex.
    [Sun Jul 18 23:53:56 2004] [notice] Child 2296: Starting 250 worker threads.
    [Sun Jul 18 23:54:07 2004] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] File does not exist: C:/website/email.pl
    [Sun Jul 18 23:54:53 2004] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] script not found or unable to stat: C:/website/cgi-binemail.pl
    [Sun Jul 18 23:56:02 2004] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] script not found or unable to stat: C:/website/cgi-binemail.pl