Thread: IE opening hotmail attachments in seperate window

IE opening hotmail attachments in seperate window

I wasnt sure where to place this type of question, so being a newbie, I thought this was a good spot.

I am having problems with IE and hotmail. When I try to download jpg and wmv attachments in hotmail, IE will instantly pop up a seperate window to display them. I have tried netscape and it works fine as well as Outlook express. Every time I try with hotmail and IE for these two types, it does not give me the option to "save as" dialog box. I have checked the file types in the control planel, and the "confirm dialog box" thing is checked. I have also checked to make sure that Jpg's and wmv file types are opening in there respective programs and not with IE. I have deleted cookies and temp/cache files as well. Rebooted and it still is doing the same thing.

One thing that I have noticed is that when I tried it with gif and tiff file attachements. I got a dialog box asking if I wanted IE to open the attachements. I selected yes to the gif and no to the tiff to see what would happen.

So you got it. The gif opened in a seperate browser and the tiff used the usual "save as " dialog box.

So now the real question is...how do I get IE to switch once Ive told it to make a change.

Thanks for any help you might be able to provide with this.
    See dick... see dick hack yahoo...see dick go to jail... dont be a dick.

just right click on the link and "save target as" chances are that along the line someone clicked the "dont show this dialoge" box then hit the open button.
    Everyone is going to die, I am just as good of a reason as any.

http://think-smarter.blogspot.com

This doesnt work because it will only save the target html site to a specific location, when you try to download the attachement from this downloaded html document, the same result happens. For me, IE will open in another windown and show the jpg.
    See dick... see dick hack yahoo...see dick go to jail... dont be a dick.

right click on whatever you click on for the attachemnt. if you dont have to click on a link to get the attachment it measn that is is probably embeded in whatever you are looking at. if it is embeded you can either righclick on the thing itself, enter the url for it into windows meadia player (or the like) and save it that way or you cant get it.
    Everyone is going to die, I am just as good of a reason as any.

http://think-smarter.blogspot.com

<Edit> left out a comment My apologies

You need to delete the file association:

1. Open the C drive with Windows explorer.
    2. Make sure the C drive is highlighted.
    3. Click on Tools
    4. Click on Folder Options
    5. Select the File Types tab.
    6. Find the file extension in question and delete it. In some OSes you can change the association from the GUI.
    7. Open your email program. If it's already open, close it and open it again.
    8. Go to the email with the file attachment. Attempt to open the file. The 'Open With?' window should appear.

Now You should be able to select the proper program association
    The mentally handicaped are persecuted in this great country, and I say rightfully so! These people are NUTS!!!!

Antionline Herpetologist
    Another option is, just let the picture load, and then right click and save it.

Cheers,
    cgkanchi
    Buy the Snakes of India book, support research and education (sorry the website has been discontinued)
    My blog: http://biology000.blogspot.com