Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Slack guy turns to Gentoo!

Originally posted here by pwaring
    An Athlon XP 1.8Ghz with 256MB RAM. However, you can't compare Gnome compilation with KDE because one uses C and one uses C++ (broadly speaking this is). There are, as far as I am aware, currently no pre-compiled header files for C++ so KDE will take a LOT longer to compile (Gnome took around 4 hours probably on my machine, KDE takes 5 times that long at least).
    Really? That's good to know, and it is packages like that that where you would use precompiled packages if possible. I don't see myself using KDE for a while (until they get the issues in 3.2.* worked out), and I prefer Gnome anyhow.

I hear OpenOffice also takes a long time to compile. Do you know how that compares to the KDE compile times? I hear it uses java (at least in parts of it), so if C++ code takes a long time to compile, I'm sure that java does as well.

I've never even attempted Open Office, but from what I've heard it takes longer than KDE (you can however disable Java support by: USE="-java" emerge openoffice - no idea whether OOo requires Java or whether it's optional though). I always disable Java support when bootstrapping and compiling GCC, because that takes long enough as it is.

What issues with 3.2.x are you referring to? I've used it ever since it was released on various pieces of hardware and distributions (including Slackware and Gentoo) without problems. You can always emerge a specific version if you want (e.g. <kde-3.2.2) but if you prefer Gnome that's fine - personally I'm a blackbox fan, but I keep KDE on to show off to potential Linux converts
    Paul Waring - Web site design and development.

Yikes, longer than what KDE takes! I do disable java when compiling gcc as well, I like the official Sun tools better than the GNU ones. I guess I'll stick with abiword!

My record with KDE: Installed 3.2.1 on Slack 9.1, had issues with konsole, like wierd fonts and the prompt was screwed up.

Installed 3.2.2 on Slack 9.1, had to upgrade X as Slack packages not compiled for XFree86 4.3 (Again, would have been solved by compiling myself). The arrows on the "K" menu did not render, annoying, and submenus did not appear next to the parent menu item, also annoying. The problem was even in the known issues part of the KDE site, so I switched to Gnome while waiting for 3.2.3.

Installed 3.2.3 on Slack 10, went okay. Found out that the CVS functionality in Konqueror did not work right (minor bugs here and there). Decided that I like Gnome much better and that I was tired of waiting on KDE.

I don't like the KDE interface much, either. Too much fluff. I got my Gnome desktop themed to look like a Mac box (really like the Mac interface), and it is working great. Things I don't like are 2.6.*'s tendancy to open a new Nautilus window when navigating folders, but apparently the developers wanted that to happen, and don't let you turn it off, and the lack of a good menu editor interface (I end up screwing up my menus more often than not, and have to edit some config files to get it back working again), but at least it works like it was intended to.

I've tried fluxbox, but I didn't like the lack of a desktop. I looked into Rox and IDesk, but decided it was too much trouble when Gnome is working fine for me.

I am running Gentoo, KDE 3.2.2, Xorg on my machine - after switching from Slackware some time ago. No problems here at all, but at the end of the day - Linux is all about choice, isn't it - KDE, Gnome, Flux, IceWM, even no X at all, its whatever "floats your boat" !!.

As for OO, I cheated and went for the binary .... but installed in 3 1/2 mins, so one can't complain.

#genlop -t openoffice-bin
    * app-office/openoffice-bin

Sun Jun 27 16:01:18 2004 --> app-office/openoffice-bin-1.1.1
    merge time: 3 minutes and 29 seconds.

merged totally 1 ebuilds in 3 minutes and 29 seconds.

For the fun of it I will emerge OpenOffice source and post the result here when done.

Linux is all about choice, isn't it - KDE, Gnome, Flux, IceWM, even no X at all, its whatever "floats your boat" !!.
    Exactly, which is why I love Gentoo. You go through the steps to get a working base system, and then can decide what programs you want. You don't have to take RH's, Mandrake's, Suse's, or Mr. Volkerding's defaults if you don't want to.

For the fun of it I will emerge OpenOffice source and post the result here when done.
    Cool! Can you post your processor speed and amount of RAM too, so we can get an idea of what you're working with?

Hopefully it won't take the rest of the week

/Edit: Just checked your profile. DAAAAAAMN!

Thermy XaserIII, Asus PC-DL mobo, 2 x 2.66 Xeon CPU's, 1gb DDR RAM, FX5700 Ultra gfx card, dual 120gb SATA HDD's, Lite-on DVD burner, Lite-on CD Burner/DVD player combo (Gentoo desktop) / P4 2.6 celeron, 1gb RAM, 40/80gb HDD's - (Gentoo - server)

Longest part of this show might be the downloading of the 200+mb .... but I doubt it

But it will be interesting .... the box was sort of built with Gentoo compiling from source code in mind.- its my kick-ass toy !!.

Longest part of this show might be the downloading of the 200+mb
    I love my high speed DSL connection

But it will be interesting .... the box was sort of built with Gentoo compiling from source code in mind.- its my kick-ass toy !!.
    I don't doubt it. Wanna trade?

I hooked a slow connection out of the States ... my local Oz mirror is down ... so only coming in on 1/2 throttle ... another 20 minutes and the game is on !!

Trade ??.... LOL - that would land me in divorce court

Trade ??.... LOL - that would land me in divorce court

genlop -t openoffice
    * app-office/openoffice

Sun Jul 18 13:50:35 2004 --> app-office/openoffice-1.1.2
    merge time: 5 hours, 53 minutes, and 35 seconds.

merged totally 1 ebuild in 5 hours, 53 minutes, and 35 seconds.

... that gave the cpu's a workout