Ssh Tutorial Help

Thread: Ssh Tutorial Help

Ssh Tutorial Help

If this is the wrong place to post this please point me in the right direction.

I have read about ssh tunneling and have dl'd putty.exe. I have read its tutorials, but I still don't know how to get it to work with a p2p program (I use winmx).
    Is this a subscription thing? I have no idea what I am going to put in the 'host' panel. And yes I have never done tunneling before, so I could I appreciate any help.

SSH is a remote means of connecting to a computer through an encrypted connection the port runs on 22. So wtf you trying to do with winMX
    By the sacred **** of the sacred psychedelic tibetan yeti ....We\'ll smoke the chinese out
    The 20th century pharoes have the slaves demanding work
    http://muaythaiscotland.com/

Antionline's Security Dude instronics's Avatar
    ssh = secure shell. Its a client and server application, mainly used to connecto to another computer which is running an ssh daemon using an ssh client. Its mainly used for administration, file transfer (scp/sftp) or just to connect to another box with an encrypted connection. To use other applications within an encrypted tunnel, there are tools, such as 'stunnel', or 'CIPE' and many others. You would have to know if winmx can work within an encrypted environment. Its not enough if your side is encrypted, the other side has to understand and be able to use the encrypted tunnel aswell. Check the help pages for winmx and see if they have a solution for this. Hmm, since its p2p, in order to use a tunnel, the other side must have the same tunnel running on his machine. I dont think it do-able, but check the documentation on winmx.

Cheers.
    Ubuntu-: Means in African : "Im too dumb to use Slackware"

Well instronics gave a better answer than me take his advice
    By the sacred **** of the sacred psychedelic tibetan yeti ....We\'ll smoke the chinese out

I was adviced by other senior members

Well then looks like I'm in a fix. If you guys would like to look at the Newbie security forum, you'd see a thread there that specifically adviced me to use/learn ssh as an option.
    Its the thread Administering p2p.

I guess it was just about time I ran into 'unfriendly posters'

Newbies just attract contempt don't we?

For those pips who have been kind enough to help/teach thank you.

instrom

Thanks!! I'll do that. Well of to reading again. hehe. Seems I just have to read more after getting advice. No pain no gain.

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    Online help is not available for WinMX at the moment. That's number one. Number two, encryption is not supported on WinMX. If you think about it, why would it? What information is so important on a P2P network that it requires encryption? It makes no sense.
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

Well then looks like I'm in a fix. If you guys would like to look at the Newbie security forum, you'd see a thread there that specifically adviced me to use/learn ssh as an option.
    Its the thread Administering p2p.

I guess it was just about time I ran into 'unfriendly posters'

Newbies just attract contempt don't we?

For those pips who have been kind enough to help/teach thank you.
    I wasnt being an un-friendly poster i just gave you a very brief descyption of what ssh is and still how the **** you going to use ssh with a p2p client ? that is not what it is intended for

Custom User
    One reason for using an ssh tunnel with a p2p application might be if the port that the application uses is blocked locally, but the port that an ssh server that you can connect to is not. As far as I am aware, you could then create an ssh tunnel to that server which would forward all the information for your p2p app through the ssh connection.

lol, I could be talking complete balls, but I think I'm right. For example (not a p2p specific example), there are some news groups that are only available inside my uni network. One way to get them would be to connect to one of our uni ssh servers and create a tunnel for the news client to run through. I believe that works, anyhow.

Hope that was in some way informative.

ac