Networking and Security

Thread: Networking and Security

Networking and Security

I plan on going into networking jobs soon.. as in setting up networks for small and large businesses.. I know plenty about computer hardware and no one needs to talk to me like I'm stupid.. but I don't know much on the large scale network subject.

I wonder if anyone has good tutorials I can use.. I searched google and could not find enough information on it.. help is apreciated.
    16-bit Ninja\'s are coming to get you.

Old Fart
    For starters you can browse thru the non-security tutorials that are found right here on AO.
    Al
    It isn't paranoia when you KNOW they're out to get you...

Banned
    Your asking a very very broad question. Could you be a little more specific. I'm not just going to leave it at that.
    What is it exactly your looking to find out?
    Is this a network your taking over adminstration of or putting it together?
    How many computers are going to be or are on this network?
    Is it going to be connected to the internet? if so how?

Number of computer?.. I'm putting it together.. the system is going to be for the office building of a small business and set up to allow access from other location's computers.. it will be connected to the internet via a T1 connection..

Errr.. corrections to the above post.. number of computers.. there will be an average of fifteen computers hooked into the network.. not to count the other locations the business has.. I need to know more about security to be able to do it properly.. I can do the hardware with ease..

Ok, then lets look at this from a slightly different angle.

What kind of budget will you be trying to work with?

There are many different ways to go when setting up security on a network. Most of them do cost a bit of money though. If not in license fees for the different programs, then in the hardware to set things up on.

At the very minimum, you are going to have to have a hardware firewall, and some kind of AV. You will have to set up logging in such a way as to have backups of your logs as well as backups of the data on the network, and preferably not in the same place.

Each domain should have their own logging and backups, and if they are seperated by any distance, then you must duplicate firewall and AV protections.

Thats just a few of the simipler precausions you will need to take. I will leave the setting of permissions and such to the true network professionals.
    \"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!\"
    Author Unknown

Hey Hey,

I realize you have Computer Hardware knowledge, but that's nothing when it comes to networking... I'd suggest you take a course of some sort if you want to get into computer networking. It's a lot to ask a business to rely on someone to setup a network when they have no experience... It's a big deal and could mean the loss of a lot of money, or possible bankruptsy if you screw it up and there's a lot of variables that you have to take into account when designing the network. You have a T1 coming in... so the list of questions to ask yourself is endless.

1. Who's managing the router, is it provided by the ISP, do I have to purchase one?
    2. What does my topology look like... DMZ, VLANs, etc..
    3. Do I have to configure the router, if so... do I know the commands for configuring this type of router.
    4. How many Real IP Addresses do I have... where will they be routed to.. Can my webserver have it's own IP... do I have to forward port 80 to the web server.
    5. Will I use NAT or do I have enough real IPs. If so.. will I do static IPs, or DHCP... Will the router provide DHCP.. will an AD server provide DHCP.. will another windows server provide DHCP.. Will another piece of hardware provide DHCP?
    6. What kind of firewalling solution will you be implementing?
    7. What services must be available through the firewall... What services will you be providing

These are just some of the questions that you must look at and ask yourself.... I'd suggest dealing with someone with more experience, or as I said.. taking a course on the subject... or setup a similar project in your home and follow the setup exactly (just use similar equipment that you have laying around.. pick up a router config simulator to learn how to configure it).. but yeah.. starting off with just jumping in to setting up a network for a company is going to end badly.
    Peace,
    HT
    IT Blog: .:Computer Defense:.
    PnCHd (Pronounced Pinched): Acronym - Point 'n Click Hacked. As in: "That website was pinched" or "The skiddie pinched my computer because I forgot to patch".