Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adaware & Firefox

Adaware & Firefox

Just a simple observation here. I switched browsers a couple weeks back at work because of the serious exploits in IE (Internet Explorer) to Mozilla Firefox http://www.mozilla.org, also at home. In IE even knowing how the cookie blocked worked AdAware always found cookies that were simply strays IE did not catch, not to mention weekly scans that also found registry settings changed etc that IE never caught. So after the switch a couple weeks ago after seeing one of the IE patches enabled the auto update (not good for my network at work) to enable and install. I switched to Firefox.

Since M$ won the browser wars I had not looked around much what Netscape? I gave up when AOL bought them cause I knew it would be an AOL thing. Nothing against AOL..just was out here before they were and they caused many problems they now want to fix..consider it market share driven another story.

Firefox rocks if I ever loved a browser it is this one. After a few weeks on what not only what cookies I wanted but lots of other things like mouse gestures, and tab browsing and it supports all the usual plugins. I ran the AdAware after downloading the latest update and ran a scan. Know what it found 10 cookies all of them to sites I allowed no humm how did that registry entry get there. It has been a long time since I felt in control of such a simple thing as browsing the web and not encountering a scan of my system after I did to find any hidden little ad peoples stuff.

So I'd say even with patches at this point IE is long gone never use it again.

Peace
    I believe that one of the characteristics of the human race - possibly the one that is primarily responsible for its course of evolution - is that it has grown by creatively responding to failure.- Glen Seaborg

It's funny you posted this because I was just explaning this exact situation to someone just this morning. Congrats on finding Firefox, it's a heck of a browser - I unfortunately still have to use IE for certain things at work, but for the most part Firefox is what I'm using.
    - Maverick

I have Firefox on my Rescue CD that I carry with me and also on my USB flash memory that
    I carry with me when i go to fix computers. I always try to get the client to switch over to
    Firefox, but 90% of the time they are drowning in IE love.
    \"Do not try....Do or Do Not.There
    is no try...\" -Yoda

Originally posted here by Icefyre24
    I always try to get the client to switch over to
    Firefox, but 90% of the time they are drowning in IE love.
    Its like when I go to fix peoples computers who need a full rebuild. I always have a large collection of various versions of Linux, and try to get them to at least try a dual-boot, but they are always so scared of it. Poor saps... If only they knew what they were missing out on... I mean, as much as I miss those blue-screens...

I'm sure glad I read this thread. First time I've tried Firefox, and I think I'm gonna keep it. My favourite thing is how you can set the cookies to "current session only" I already told windoze that its the default browser! Mind you, in Linux, I tend to use Konqeror all the time, it seems very similar to this one. Is konqueror perhaps a version derived from Mozilla as well? Hmmm, I forget.

Anyways, enough of my boring all you ppl with my chatter,

Dave
    Alcohol & calculus don't mix. Never drink & derive.

Palemoon: I use Firefox and adaware as well and everytime I run a scan I get a select few cookies (no matter) and about two registry entries. So I checked them out (source file) I saw they were merely for my Window's Media Player. So what you might want to do is find the source folder/file of everything and see what the entry is for. It might be for an application you allow or use and isn't too big a deal. I could be wrong, but this typically happen's quite a bit.
    Space For Rent.. =]

Yeah, I seriously must concur here. I tried Firefox out a few versions ago and it sucked big donkey dongs, turns out patience does payoff sometimes. I updated to the latest release 0.9.2, I believe, and this thing seriously rocks. No errant cookies, third party bulls**t, adware, etc. etc. I even dig the customizable options, skins, plugins.... Plus the spoofstick is great for newbies. It lets them know that haven't been redirected to a site they didn't intend on going to in the first place.

Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

Computer Forensics
    Ya know, Firefox was and still is better than IE, even when it did suck. However, While running on windows, firefox was vulnerable to pretty much the same vuln that IE was(that's what prompted the 9.2 quick release). So, Firefox does kick ass, and I can't wait for version 1.0, but be wary while running it on windows. The one thing I love is the lack of activeX crapola.
    One bonus as korp pointed out are the free extensions that people have contributed. Some of them are extremely useful, and by god there is one thing that Microsoft still hasn't caught on to yet...TABBED BROWSING!
    Antionline in a nutshell
    \"You\'re putting the fate of the world in the hands of a bunch of idiots I wouldn\'t trust with a potato gun\"

Trust your Technolust

Everyone's doing it so I might as well...:

I installed firefox a couple weeks back and used it in parallel to IE, the I noticed it displayed just as well as IE and is just overall as good and/or better in pretty much everyway and switched to it full time at home.

I think the only things lacking for full fledge adoption by enterprises might be the missing auto-update (until 1.0, although you could probably script it some way) and the possibility of configuring it with group policies (although I haven't really searched if it is acutally possible).

Ammo
    Credit travels up, blame travels down -- The Boss

and by god there is one thing that Microsoft still hasn't caught on to yet...TABBED BROWSING!
    Yeah, thank the lord for that. Simply press ctrl + t and wahla! None of that multiple window's **** with IE. Now all we need is Firefox to be installed by default on window's and life would be better
    Space For Rent.. =]

dang he beat me to it....i looooovveeee the tab browsing. have 6 webpages open and only 1 browser, half your taskbar is still open without 6 different browsers grouped up. BRILLIANT heh.