Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a tool to sort out rogue processes

Looking for a tool to sort out rouge processes

Was wondering if anyone knew of a tool that could list all the processes running on a PC and give you an option to hide known "good" procesess (Like Microsoft services, etc.) and show ones that might be 3rd party or rouge? I'm finding that manual intervention in spyware/trojan removal is becoming more and more common for things that get by scans from antivirus software or adaware/spybot.

Thanks in advance,
    DJ

I believe hijackthis list's running processes and file's after a scan. Download at http://www.spychecker.com/program/hijackthis.html
    Space For Rent.. =]

Good Evening,

Task Terminator will list all processes running and give you option to shut them down. Now be warned however, that means with extreme prejudice. It will shut them down!

www.ZeaSoft.com

WinPatrol is suppose to immediately warn you of changes.

www.winpatrol.com/winpatrol.html

And Regmon might be something you are looking for as well. It immediately warns you of changes as well.

www.sysinternals.com

WinPatrol and Regmon should be able to give you an opportunity for timely intervention.

Cheers
    Connection refused, try again later.

Thanks for all the suggestions. My personal favorite is Process Explorer from www.sysinternals.com but it still doesn't quite have what I'm looking for. If it could allow you to hide known Microsoft processes, that allows me to just look quickly at a glance so I can kill processes that might be bad ones. Any more suggestions?

www.glocksoft.com

get Advanced Administrative Tools. It will not hide the good processes that are running but It will show you what program it is, and where its located. You need to have some computer knowledge to know which program is good and which one is rogue...I.E. spyware.

AAtools also comes with a shitload of extra tools in it, so it defenitely makes a great addition to any toolbox. You can download a 45 day trial, which is version 5.56 I believe...or you can buy a single license for $45.

check 'Starter' by 'CodeStuff'. it gives good options

http://members.lycos.co.uk/codestuff/
    Excuse me, is there an airport nearby large enough for a private jet to land?

Originally posted here by donjjones
    Thanks for all the suggestions. My personal favorite is Process Explorer from www.sysinternals.com but it still doesn't quite have what I'm looking for. If it could allow you to hide known Microsoft processes, that allows me to just look quickly at a glance so I can kill processes that might be bad ones. Any more suggestions?
    Process explorer shows you what is running what process, so you don't need it to hide the MS services. For example, if you have 4 svchost.exe's running, and 3 of them are running from the kernel, and one is running straight out of C:\windows, all by itself, you can discern which one is bad.
    [H]ard|OCP <--Best hardware/gaming news out there--|
    pwned.nl <--Gamers will love this one --|
    Light a man a fire and you\'ll keep him warm for a day, Light a man ON fire and you\'ll keep him warm the rest of his life.

I am almost positive you can do this with Hijackthis and ctrl alt delete tells most but yah that there should work for ya.

http://digilander.libero.it/zancart

It has a list of "known" processes and lets you add them as you go along. It runs periodically in the background and warns you if anything "new" starts up.

Cheers

I was about to say: ps -a

And then I figured he had to have been talking about Windows. :P Wondering when people will start mentioning OS when asking for support.