Make AO a Pay Site
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Make AO a Pay Site

Make AO a Pay Site

Hey Hey,

I don't know how well this suggestion will go over but it's an idea. Charge people a dollar in their local currency... or a USD, let them pay it through paypal, or like some of the free shell providers do, let them mail you a postcard.. just something to show a sincerity. It'd cut down on trolls, trouble makers and spammers. Don't charge to view forums and read threads.. just charge users to post on the site.

I don't know how well this will go over, or if I'd even support it myself... but I know I'd definately pay/send in a postcard to keep my account active.. and I'd like to see the trolls cut down on. We could even not include current members and just do it with future members.

Just a sugestion..... Opinions??

Peace,
    HT
    IT Blog: .:Computer Defense:.
    PnCHd (Pronounced Pinched): Acronym - Point 'n Click Hacked. As in: "That website was pinched" or "The skiddie pinched my computer because I forgot to patch".
    Share on Google+

I would be 'go'. With people being able to see how the forums are they would know what happens once they join, so it's not like anybody should want thei dollar back But I agree, this should be done... I'm actually willing to pay the dollar even now, maybe asking everybody to do it would cause some trolls to quit, and some of the older accounts that were never used to become inactive [I guess a new status message, like Closed for Inactivity or Retired Member - for those that don't want to pay]

Even a system that allows you to reactivate your account at any time [provided it was closed due to one of the two reasons] for the people that would miss their e-mail notice or whatnot.

But I know that for overseas members the postage might cost more than the actual donation Anyway, I do not vote against this proposal [for what it's worth]
    /\\
    Share on Google+

BANNED
    Heh. Who's gonna go through all those postcards. And I would have a problem with paying a little if I owned a credit card. But as I've heard lately there are a few younger people here so they may have a problem with the donation thing as well.
    When death sleeps it dreams of you...
    Share on Google+

That would not be a good idea for a number of reason's. One being, if you want member's to come to your site, why charge them money for access to your site when they can simply just go to another site just like it for free? Catch my drift? Now, I wouldn't mind paying a dollar or ten to keep my account alive or whatever, but like I said there are a number of reasons not to implement this suggestion.
    Space For Rent.. =]
    Share on Google+

Is this not meant to be a place where anyone can come and ask questions related to computers and comp security when they are in need of help or just information. I know if i was in need of some quick help I would go to a free website and register on their forums rather than paying a dollar and waiting for it to go through before getting my membership and being able to ask for help.

Also if someone joined up and turned out to be a dickhead anyway and got banned. AO would be giving out refunds all over the place.

I dunno, I just like this site being free.

I also think when places like AO start of being free and open everyone loves them but as places become more about money and out for profit, people tend to start going elsewhere.

Just my thoughts.
    Share on Google+

I am going to have to agree with fyrewall on this one... We will never get new members (or hardly ever) if they can't just drop in and ask a question to get started.
    [H]ard|OCP <--Best hardware/gaming news out there--|
    pwned.nl <--Gamers will love this one --|
    Light a man a fire and you\'ll keep him warm for a day, Light a man ON fire and you\'ll keep him warm the rest of his life.
    Share on Google+

But there are obvioulsy ways around that. Like a limited number of posts before you _have_ to register [like.. 50 or 100].

As for members getting banned, I don't think there should be a refund. First off, I would not use my real name or put a mailing address on the card... much like sdf.lonestar.org, if you get banned it's for misuse of account or failure to abide to site rules and so no refund required. But that could pose a bit of a legal issue if people get banned through APs and they decide it was uncalled for or whatever.

I don't have anything against the idea. I don't mind the way the site is now. After all, we need to give out some negs once in a while otherwise we get that message on the first page. And if this proves to be a problematic thing to implement... no biggie.
    /\\
    Share on Google+

Im sorry, i had a drink and im not gonna rwead this now, but dont JupiterMedia make money off of as right now ? by us posting and visit their banner ? Im sorry but we can deal with trolls via moderators or ban them via AP...

im gonna read this threa ftoomorow again and re-think my post ....

cheers
    Share on Google+

Antionline's Security Dude instronics's Avatar
    Bla, this suggestion should get 'reddies'. Big NO NO. I cant afford to have dinner out of home...
    If we should pay to access this site, then we should get paid for the tuts and info that we post on here. And whos to get the money if it becomes a pay site? JM? Mods? The mods might deserve some payment for their efforts... but thats not our problem. Its also not about the amount.. post card, $1, nothing of that sort, its about the idea in general. This site is what it is, due to its traffic and the way things have been going from the start. First it was JP, who gave us a site benefit of bannerless surfing, then when JM took over, they put the M$ banners all over the place... now you want the community to pay, watch their banners, and provide information? Nope.

Cheers.
    Ubuntu-: Means in African : "Im too dumb to use Slackware"
    Share on Google+

Death couldn't speak so he sent Died in his place
    Heh. Who's gonna go through all those postcards. And I would have a problem with paying a little if I owned a credit card. But as I've heard lately there are a few younger people here so they may have a problem with the donation thing as well.
    Anyone can go through the post cards, hell AO can give out my address and I"ll go through the postcards for them.. I'd gladly volunteer that time in order to cut down on the number of trolls.

So Sayeth the almighty Spider

That would not be a good idea for a number of reason's. One being, if you want member's to come to your site, why charge them money for access to your site when they can simply just go to another site just like it for free? Catch my drift? Now, I wouldn't mind paying a dollar or ten to keep my account alive or whatever, but like I said there are a number of reasons not to implement this suggestion.
    You only gave one reason, and it's only slightly valid... The number of new members that contribute something worthwhile is dropping... more and more we're seeing new members on the banned list. What other site are they going to? I can only think of a few sites that have the reputation that AO Has... and that's security-forms.com and Government security.org. GSec.org isn't accepting new registrations and SF.com isn't going to put up with the trolls that don't want to register here anyways...

We've got another roadblock ... this time a fyrewall

Is this not meant to be a place where anyone can come and ask questions related to computers and comp security when they are in need of help or just information. I know if i was in need of some quick help I would go to a free website and register on their forums rather than paying a dollar and waiting for it to go through before getting my membership and being able to ask for help.

Also if someone joined up and turned out to be a dickhead anyway and got banned. AO would be giving out refunds all over the place.
    It's quite simple to say no refunds if you are banned by the members, you make that clear... As far as a place to come to ask computer related questions... That's a benefit of charging.. we won't have people joining with their one time computer related tech support questions... It'll benefit us, more than hurt us... Anyone serious about being here and discussing current topics will read what we're saying and see that it's worthwhile.... The people that don't want to pay to ask us how to boot their computer... well hey we don't want those kind of basic tech support questions any ways.. this is a computer security site... not TechSupportForums.com

I can't think of anything to say so... Instronics

Bla, this suggestion should get 'reddies'. Big NO NO. I cant afford to have dinner out of home...
    If we should pay to access this site, then we should get paid for the tuts and info that we post on here. And whos to get the money if it becomes a pay site? JM? Mods? The mods might deserve some payment for their efforts... but thats not our problem. Its also not about the amount.. post card, $1, nothing of that sort, its about the idea in general. This site is what it is, due to its traffic and the way things have been going from the start. First it was JP, who gave us a site benefit of bannerless surfing, then when JM took over, they put the M$ banners all over the place... now you want the community to pay, watch their banners, and provide information? Nope.
    Negged for a suggestion.. that's pretty harsh.. Also there's a big difference between a buck and a dinner out... If you don't like the idea and it's implemented.. then leave.. I think the majority of contributing people will be ok with it... As a student.. I've spent thousands of dollars on textbooks... and I've learned more from this site than I've ever learned from textbooks... It's not JPs site anymore.. who cares if he gave bannerless surfing.. There's plenty of ways to block the banners if you care that much... To get all of this site for free is an amazing deal.. to pay a buck for it is still a damn amazing deal....

Anyways.. the rest of the posts were just reiterations of this stuff...

Hypronix's comments about limiting posts before you register isn't a bad idea.. but you'd have to limit it to one post to ask a question.. and that'd be it.. but I don't know if I even like that idea.. You could register and make a post and do it again and again...

Anyways,... Peace,
    HT
    IT Blog: .:Computer Defense:.
    PnCHd (Pronounced Pinched): Acronym - Point 'n Click Hacked. As in: "That website was pinched" or "The skiddie pinched my computer because I forgot to patch".
    Share on Google+