Thread: Help Needed - Computer Won't Boot

Help Needed - Computer Won't Boot

Hey guys, I could use some help here badly. It all started off when I was dusing the inside of my computer (Just casual stuff) Went to plug everything back in, and went to start it up, but to my surprise it failed. Here is what happens what I power it up:
    - No Beeps
    - All fans start up, work fine.
    - Can't really hear whether or not the HD is spinning
    - All Lights and temperature guages work.
    - Monitor Light stays on Yellow, and goes into "Power Save Mode"

And heres what I've tried to do to fix it so far:
    - Tried replacement HD
    - Tried 3 different IDE cables, in every arrangement possible
    - Tried only giving power to Heatsink fan and HD
    - Tried every arrangement of combinations for plugging different items with different Powersupply cables

While I was cleaning around, I was grounded the entire time, although my thoughts are I must have shorted something. I've been going at this for about 4 hours now, doing some research, trying to find if theres a site out there with similar symptoms. But since this is kinda urgent, I figured it would be ok if I posted before I was completely done googling.

The only things I have left to try, or at least that I can think of are:
    - Try the HD in a spare pc
    - Try switching processors
    - Try switching graphics cards.

inside the box is the following
    Western Digital 80gb HD
    GA-7VT600 K7 Triton Motherboard (KT600 Series)
    GeForce Fx 5200
    AMD 2500+ 333FSB

If you guys have even any slight ideas on what to test, feel free to fill me in. Im going to have to wait for my brother to wake up before I can try switching procesors, graphics cards and maybe even memory If I have to. But I'll be checking back every so often to see if anyone's replied.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Beeps codes are always worthwhile to keep around. So, it's possibly a short, loose card or no power. Evidentally you have power so we're left with short or loose card. Reseat EVERYTHING. Double check the connections of the cards are actually in the slot (I've actually had cards that were slightly out cause this). Prime areas of concern IMHO: RAM and/or Video cards.

HTH.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Blah...Guess it must be a short then. Just double checked all cards, tighly fastened in. And 7 hours til my brother wakes up so I can't see if its the HD thats fried, or the processor...Oh well. Thanks for the fast reply MsMittems. Guess I'll either be on the phone witb ABS or Newegg soon. Thanks again though, didn't expect to get such a quick reply at this time.
    It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious. - Murphy

OK SirSub, let's go for it...............

1. Remove your memory sticks and clean the contacts with isopropyl alcohol, tricoethelene1-1-1 or CTC (be careful with CTC...............it is nasty stuff ) Get a Q-tip/cotton bud and do the same with the slots.

2. Do the same with your video card.

3. All contacts from your power supply need to be tested for full contact.

3. Do the same with the ribbon cable to your HDD

- Can't really hear whether or not the HD is spinning
    do the lights flicker?

Try that and please let me know how you get on.

Hmm
    No BEEP...

I had similar problem many many many times... and it was always either motherboard or CPU...

did you accidentaly opened CPU retention system?
    try to take out CPU and put it back in... try to clean socket before that with compressed air.

In my opinion it is always good to use compressed air to clean out inside of computer. You don't touch anything and all dust comes out.. and I mean all if you use some kind of compressor
    Ikalo
    ------
    Make your knowledge your deadliest weapon.

Ok, new problem aroused. Is it possible for a motherboard to be fried in just a certain spot? Becaue there is still power going to the MB. So is it possible for just the processor part to be fried? Or if one part of the MB goes, does everything else?

Sorry if I don't make too much sense here, living off of stress and caffeine.

BTW - Trying to install a spare processor and graphics card now. I'll be back with the results soon as I finish.
    It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious. - Murphy

Yes it is possible.

I just fried my $150 motherboard last week cause I was stupid and left part of the M/B on a pice of metal

Do you see any dark spots on the board anywhere?

Try taking the board out of the case, laying it flat ona table (wood table preferably) and then power up and see if you get a post.
    =

I have also had the same problem for over a week now with my dell ever since I installed an extra hard drive. I thought it would probably be related to hardware, just the weird thing is it boots up fine every now and then and the fan sounds as if its abnormally straining and it makes very loud beeps every few seconds (gets really annoying)... Anyway I'lll check into connections and cleaning your probably right... thanx for the help
    Kevin Mitnick is my hero

Another way to tell if the board is bad, look at it, you see those battery looking things (capacitors) on the top they should have a flat surface with a plus sign on them. If the top is bubbled or ruptured (you will see some kind of goo at the top).... if it is bubbled start looking for a new board, if it is ruptured well I don't recommend using it...

i had come accross many problems such as this, i have found this it is usually one of three things, connections IDE cables and card slots, motherboard failer, video card failer.... (most likely video card failer........ have you tested the card in a diffrent computer???

Are you not getting the POST screen at all?

Try pulling all expansion cards out, and removing all the cables. Only have power going to the motherboard. Unplug everything from the MB and have only a video card and memory on the board. This is the bare minimum to be able to see a POST screen. If this won't come up then you've reduced the problem to, MB, CPU, PS, Video, Case. If it does, then re-add one component at a time.